AUTO to Max AC to AUTO observation, issue?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deutsch100

My last two BMWs (F15 X5 35d and 40e) had the worst A/C I have ever had in any car, even dating back to 80s models. I was so beyond stoked to find how quickly my '19 i3S cools and heats. Near perfect HVAC.

But today I observed something that I cannot imagine is normal, and hopefully is some kind of software or programming snafu.

It has been warm here the past few days (well, warm for November...86-88F).

99% of the time, all year round I keep my HVAC to AUTO 70F.

Today my car was parked in direct sun and it was blistering in the cabin, so I put the HVAC to Max A/C. Wow...ice cold, strong and perfect.

After a few mins I put the HVAC back to AUTO 70F. The HVAC just blew kind of luke warm, coolish and weak air. Putting the HVAC back to MAX A/C...ice cold and strong returns.

If I turn the car off and then back on...AUTO 70F is perfect....cold, and the blower is very regulated. Use MAX A/C and then back to AUTO...weak airflow and kind of warm air. Turn the i3 off and the back on, AUTO 70F once again works perfectly.

Thoughts? Thanks so much!

Max sets the thermostat to 60º F. If you switch to Auto at 70º and the climate control temperature sensor measures the temperature to be below 70º, climate control could switch to recirculating mode with no cooling or heating or even switch to heating mode. I have experienced this when I merely increased the thermostat setting while cooling was active.

THANK YOU aloha!! I called my Dealer, and this is almost exactly what they told me too! They said that after running the HVAC on Max A/C, and then returning the system to a "normal" cabin temp of 70ish....the system either slightly warms the cabin or just blows air.

Appreciate the response!!

Back