C&D - What to Buy: 2013–2021 BMW i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the market for an i3 and I've read this article several times as high-level guidance. With that in mind, I've been avoiding the 2017 and earlier models, mostly due to fear of this mysterious 'drive bearing' issue that they describe.

But i've not been able to find any other commonly documented instances of this failure. Is this really an issue? If so, how did the 'fix' it for 2018 and newer?

In their press release for the i3S (Sport) with increased horsepower, BMW specifically mentions new tapered roller bearings. And yet I believe the applicable part numbers weren't changed, indicating this update was a revision that occurred across the whole product line to include the non-S models.

One of the worst marketed cars on Earth. Well done BMW for killing it.

So... does that mean that there really was no issue with the bearings pre-2018 and that "upgraded" was a marketing tactic, not an actual fix?

Lots of great deals out there on 2017s, I'm tempted as long as I'm not on borrowed time when it comes to driveline components.

gcvpi09 said:
So... does that mean that there really was no issue with the bearings pre-2018 and that "upgraded" was a marketing tactic, not an actual fix?

My assumption is the bearings were revised, but Incorporated as a production date revision keeping the identical part number.

FWIW my 17 was noise free / no vibrations / without problems through 50,000 miles.

super helpful again, thank you. If the bearings are more of a red herring, seems like the real difference between a 2017 and 2018 is Apple Car play and the upgraded lighting... am I missing anything else?

They forgot to mention the appetite for tires. With the recent price hikes, they cost more than electricity to run the car.

gt1 said:
They forgot to mention the appetite for tires. With the recent price hikes, they cost more than electricity to run the car.

In a vacuum, sure, I agree.

But if you compare the Ecopias to the cost of having to replace less expensive tires on a different car, then we're talking about an incrementally more expensive tire needing to be changed more often, especially compared to other tire-eating EVs.

My fronts are about ready after 16,000 miles, and I miss the discounts usually available for buying four at a time, so I'm not arguing they're cheap. But tires are an expense no matter what car we're talking about.

Where's Khumo with a moderately priced alternative?

Back