Cloth interior-how hard to clean?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

We are getting a ReX in a few weeks and I am belatedly wondering just how hard it is to keep the inside of the car clean? Specifically how easy is it to get dog hair out of the carpet and the cloth seats? We have a couple of GSD's and drive with them to various trail heads everyday.

I don't have the cloth seats in mine but there still are some areas that are trimmed in the same cloth in my car. The material seems durable but you might want to consider the function cover that BMW offers to help keep things clean.

WoodlandHills said:
We are getting a ReX in a few weeks and I am belatedly wondering just how hard it is to keep the inside of the car clean? Specifically how easy is it to get dog hair out of the carpet and the cloth seats? We have a couple of GSD's and drive with them to various trail heads everyday.

I have the Giga wool cloth and leather trim and worried about the same thing. The one thing I will caution you on is DYED/RINSED dark denim. Most have a warning tag inside about the "rinse" rubbing off on upholstery. If you have any of these, be very careful; I haven't worn my couple of pairs (different colors) in the car and have in fact set them aside in separate little pile to remind myself NOT to wear them if I am driving somewhere. I have had a couple of bad experiences with these dyes (even including dying blue the white stitching on my hip wallet!). They don't need to be wet to transfer the dye.

As for cleaning, I told my dealer to keep an eye out for wool fabric cleaner and let me know. He suggested a foam cleaner in the meantime if I really need one.

I have great first-hand experience!

Got my brand new i3 less than a week ago and yesterday I needed to go pick up some ducks. 20 loud, stinky, muddy, poopy ducks. Folded back seats down, ensured the 'i function' cover was well-placed to cover as much as possible, and then put 4 cardboard boxes in the back, each containing 5 ducks. Journey home was uneventful. When I was unloading the 4th box, my dog picked up on me having something potentially tasty to play with so jumped up, knocking the box from my hand. One of the ducks popped out of the box and went flapping into the car with muddy, shitty feet as horror and grimace rinsed across my face.

So I mentioned the dog. She's a big dog with a double-coat made for surviving arctic cold--an Alaskan Malamute. Been transporting her all week in the back (seats up) with the 'i function' cover. She is currently molting--I could knit a sweater with how much fur I brush out of her every evening.

All of that info to set the scene of how I spent an hour cleaning my brand new, less-than-400 miles on the clock, i3 from mud, duck shit, and dog fur. Like all things, the right tools make a job easier. We have an animal model Dyson--the animal brush attachment sucks up fur from any material without issue. We've been using it for a year in the house so already knew its value--same in the car, perfectly vacuuming off the dog hair from all the various surfaces/materials. I mention the Dyson first because it came with a foam cleaner. I tested a small spot to make sure it wouldn't discolor the fabric. It didn't, and 30 minutes later I was vacuuming up the dried foam right along with the dried mud and duck crap. For the non-fabric surfaces, I just used a generic 'all surface' cleaner--spray and wipe. The "hardest" part, which really was not that hard at all, is the slightly raised hex pattern of the plastic. It required a few more circular movements to get the mud/crap off as opposed to a perfectly smooth surface but again it wasn't hard at all.

Everything is back to brand new and was not difficult to clean. I don't intend on mucky ducks flapping around the car again, though the weekly vacuuming of the dog hair will be a quick 5 minute job.

As for cleaning the fabric after the fact, most of my detailer friends recommend Woolite deluded 20:1 with water to get stains out.

jelloslug said:
As for cleaning the fabric after the fact, most of my detailer friends recommend Woolite deluded 20:1 with water to get stains out.

I heard just recently that Woolite contains a bleaching agent.......I can't imagine that for navy blue sweaters, but there it is. My dealer guy suggested known-brand foam.

I recently dropped a bit of chocolate onto my Giga/Lodge wool cloth. Didn't realize it until getting out so my body heat had melted the chocolate into the fabric. Spot cleaned with the diluted Woolite over several days. It faded the spot but residue remained visible in sunlight. K2R spot cleaner removed it completely after two applications.

Thanks for the tip: SWMBO left some melted chocolate crumbs on our seats this week too. We will try the K2R..... Funny how she freaks out about dog hair in our new car and then stains the seats with candy...... :roll:

Not sure if this is the most appropriate spot for my questions but figured it would be best to ask here rather than create a whole new topic.

I have had my BEV Mega for about several months now and on the whole am pleased. Anyway, I take a daily 1.5 mile drive home from my nearby gym. I try and cool off and not get in the car drenched in sweat but noticed a stain towards the bottom of the drivers seat upholstery. Is there anything anyone here can recommend I try? Its not obvious, but if one looks closely they will noticed but as my usual compulsive self I want a clean car all the time. I figured I would try warm water, mild soap and microfiber cloth.

Any other suggestions?

elptex said:
One of the ducks popped out of the box and went flapping into the car with muddy, shitty feet as horror and grimace rinsed across my face.

Hahaha! Loved reading this! :lol:

Maccabee said:
Not sure if this is the most appropriate spot for my questions but figured it would be best to ask here rather than create a whole new topic.

I have had my BEV Mega for about several months now and on the whole am pleased. Anyway, I take a daily 1.5 mile drive home from my nearby gym. I try and cool off and not get in the car drenched in sweat but noticed a stain towards the bottom of the drivers seat upholstery. Is there anything anyone here can recommend I try? Its not obvious, but if one looks closely they will noticed but as my usual compulsive self I want a clean car all the time. I figured I would try warm water, mild soap and microfiber cloth.

Any other suggestions?

What did you end up using?

I always come across the same issue. :roll:

I had a stain on my giga world wool seats that I was having trouble getting out with my typical cleaners that I use. I was able to get it out with K2R spot cleaner, followed up by wool-lite in my spot cleaner. Apparently it was white chocolate sauce according to my girlfriend.

Back