Dogs and i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Just passing on a few 'lessons learned':
  • break-in alarm - so I parked the car at a covered charger; rolled up the windows; and locked it. When I came back, the flashers were operating not because the dogs had figured out how to push the emergency button. Rather they had set off the break-in alarm which detects motion inside the car when it locked.
  • 'do gooders' - at the same parking and charging spot, I left the windows mostly down. With at least the glass raise a few inches above the lower sill, our dogs stay in the car (remote operation has earned their respect for the glass.) I went inside the 'Whole Foods' a store that caters to 'green' and 'natural' foods. When I came out an hour later, a police cruiser showed up as someone had called in about 'dogs in the car.' In the shade; windows open; the officer and I had a good laugh.
  • no console barrier - in our recent cars, the driver's foot area was walled off by a console barrier. Then on USA Independence day, the dogs had gotten nervous because of the random firecrackers going off. Driving down the road, an approaching thunderstorm had a flash of lightning and BOOM ... and the beagle wanted comfort company by scooting over to the driver side. Fortunately, I turned off the cruise control and the car automatically slowed approaching a modest braking stop while Mr. Shoe explained to the beagle she was not welcome there. Note to self, may need to install a doggie barrier net and/or leash them in the back.

Lessons learned,
Bob Wilson

You can turn off the interior motion sensor, and should if you leave the dogs in there.

WHile I can see the potential issue about the barrier, the reason there is none is because it was designed as a city car, and you might want to slide through to the other side to exit (much easier if you don't have the extra cup holder snapped in!).

Back