Driver side wiper - annoying issue

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SustainableMe

Hi helpful i3 forum folks! Time for me to ask a question

I'm having an annoying, and I think problematic, issue with the windshield wiper on the driver side.... which I have observed often given how much its been raining her in upstate (central) NY. I hope this explanation makes sense. First observed it on day one (would that be the birthday?)

When the wiper (drive side) finishes its cycle to the left, the water seems to 'pool' between the blade and the pillar. When the wiper begins it cycle back towards the center, it 'pulls' the water with it across the driver's field of view. Usually, its in the shape of a triangle.

If its raining hard while traveling at highway speeds, the apex can travel to half way across the (speedometer) display - obscuring quite a bit of the field of vision - kind of the opposite of what one wants the wipers to do.

It also happens at slower speeds but is typically not as severe (the triangle doesn't travel as far into the field of vision).. but then again when exiting the highway on a clover leaf, for example, the change in wind direction can cause the same effect.

I sent the video to my dealer, who passed it on to the regional rep, but....

Has anyone else observed something similar? Cheers

Aquapel or RainX might help. I put some Aquapel on about the first day, and have not noticed this, but I've only driven it in rain once. Both of those bond with the glass and make the water bead up - it changes the way water interacts with the glass and air movement makes it bead up and blow away for the most part.

mindmachine said:
RJSATLBA said:
Try changing to a right hand drive car and driving on the correct side of the road

Unfortunately you guys are the ones that have it WRONG! SORRY! :lol:
On the contrary. When we drive along we can use our right arm to brandish our swords out of the window at oncoming traffic.

bryand said:
mindmachine said:
RJSATLBA said:
Try changing to a right hand drive car and driving on the correct side of the road

Unfortunately you guys are the ones that have it WRONG! SORRY! :lol:
On the contrary. When we drive along we can use our right arm to brandish our swords out of the window at oncoming traffic.

I see the real problem clearly now, your leaders have yet to realize that swords are WMD's and are banned around the world by the UN. :eek:

Hi all.. yes I have experienced this. .. the drivers blade seems to drag the wiped water back onto the screen...

I am going to top up with fluid with water repellent in which bonds with the screen and beads the water... i tried it in the past with previous cars and it helps a lot.. will see if it fixes this issue...

The two products I mentioned (Aquapel and RainX) may only be available in the USA, but they act as a sealant for the glass, and repel water. I have found over the years that they are a great safety device in the winter when you might get a bunch of dirty slush splashed up on the windshield...without it, you are likely blind until you can turn the wipers on...with it, it will clear enough almost immediately for you to still be able to see. Now, this is only an issue where you have snow and slush on the roadways, and most of the UK would probably not experience that frequently. I've been using RainX since the 1970's, but recently tried Aquapel to see if I may like it better. Haven't had it very long, but I think it is lasting a bit longer than RainX. It also costs more.

Can one just use car wax on the windshield to get the same effect like RainX?

bxb40 said:
Can one just use car wax on the windshield to get the same effect like RainX?

Probably get mixed results depending on the wax used.

An old trick is to use a potato. Just cut it in half and rub the cut face over the screen. Behaves like RainX but not as long lasting or effective.

Both RainX and Aquapel seem to be available at Amazon.co.uk, and probably at other local stores. As I've said, I've been using RainX on my windshields for decades, but only recently tried Aquapel (it costs a bunch more, but is supposed to last longer - can't tell yet, haven't had it long enough).

It rained a bit today while out, and with the Aquapel on the i3's windshield, the wiper still dragged (drug?) the water, but since it beaded up, it functionally did not block visibility. Since I put it on the vehicle when new, I do not have a before/after assessment to make any comparison. It does somewhat depend on the road speed and the wind direction. With the RainX over the years, lots of time, while on the highway at speed, you didn't need to use your wipers all that often, especially if you'd recently put some on. One time, I'd just put some on, and in the next few days we had some freezing rain...while others were chipping away at the ice accumulations, I was able to just use the brush and brush it all away. WHen it starts to wear away from wiper use, you get some streaks, alerting you that you need to reapply. In the mist, it can almost look like a frosted window from all of the small beads of water unless you're moving enough to blow it away. Then, you'll need to use the wipers.

I use Reload Silica Spay sealant on the bodywork and the glass which gives me the same results as RainX. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILZEJ4M94_k

UPDATE: While wiping rain-x on the windshield ... I was looking at the wiper and said to myself - huh - that's odd. The wiper on the driver's side (right or wrong) was hitting the hood (small mark on the hood) -- seems it would tuck under the hood to maximize aerodynamics (the passenger side wiper does). Also, to me, the wiper seems very tilted, as in not parallel with the hood.

I snapped a few picks... is this what your wipers look like?

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/jtunkel/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140802_183901_zpszzixfxat.jpg.html

And

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/jtunkel/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140802_183920_zpswhgytxix.jpg.html

...not sure why these images didn't imbed, but I would appreciate it if ya'll take a moment to look at them.

Cheers!

Don't have an i3 yet but I think your wiper is not installed correctly. It should sit few clockwise degrees higher which. As such, it will not touch the black plastic shield and make the top tip move further to your left when in use - which could solve your issue with water streaking. See the dealer.

jadnashuanh said:
Both RainX and Aquapel seem to be available at Amazon.co.uk, and probably at other local stores. As I've said, I've been using RainX on my windshields for decades, but only recently tried Aquapel (it costs a bunch more, but is supposed to last longer - can't tell yet, haven't had it long enough).
I've used both Aquapel and Rain-X. Neither was as good as Ombrello (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/42217/ombrello-glass-treatment - applies like Aquapel, but lasts much longer) or Gtechniq G1 (http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/g1-clearvision-smart-glass/) (lasts up to 2 years and can apply patch repair to the finish e.g. where the wipers reverse direction). In all cases, you have to get the windscreen squeaky clean before applying the hydrophobic coating. But they do work well.

But as I mentioned previously. I use reload that works just as well. This has the additional advantage that it is used all over the car, inc the wheels, so that everything gets the ‘non stick’ treatment.

Back