enable CarPlay on late 2019 i3 120Ah

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

I am looking to enable CarPlay on my i3 120, late 2019 model. The vehicle has Professional Nav, version NBTEvo_S and iDrive 6.

Some websites suggest that a Wifi Aerial needs to be added to the unit, which is indicated by the fact that the vehicle has no Wifi (hotspot?). Is there a different way to tell without removing the rear bench and checking?

Since I have the NBTEvo_S, I am going to have to use an ENET cable connected to a Windows laptop. Anybody on here done that? I am fairly technical, so don't mind performing these steps myself.

Anybody on here with experiences, I'd appreciate any other pointers.

Thank you.
P

which is indicated by the fact that the vehicle has no Wifi (hotspot?)
I don't think this can be correct. My car has CarPlay (that I never use) and I've never seen it acting as a Wifi hotspot ****.

As a general observation, if they wanted to fit a wifi antenna, BMW would be unlikely to fit it under the seat, because that would place it in a very unfavourable position (level with the aluminium substructure). The connection will be there, somewhere in a mass of wires, but the antenna is likely to be fitted in the roof, at the back of the car.

****Edit, but... I never use CarPlay, so maybe mine has the wifi part switched off? May need further thought...

I don't think this can be correct. My car has CarPlay (that I never use) and I've never seen it acting as a Wifi hotspot ****.

As a general observation, if they wanted to fit a wifi antenna, BMW would be unlikely to fit it under the seat, because that would place it in a very unfavourable position (level with the aluminium substructure). The connection will be there, somewhere in a mass of wires, but the antenna is likely to be fitted in the roof, at the back of the car.

****Edit, but... I never use CarPlay, so maybe mine has the wifi part switched off? May need further thought...
Thanks. The wifi aerial is under the backseat, I’ve just checked further. I think the easiest way to find out if I need one is to remove it and take a look.

We have CarPlay in our VW and use it a lot. The i3 I bought last week was advertised with it, but turned out it is not.

I don't understand - what isn't that obvious? Either the car spec has Apple Car Play prep or it doesn't, surely? Or perhaps you allude to other names for the options?

No - if I read what you write, your car's spec doesn't show the option - so you definitely don't have it. I think.

Back