Explain the windshield tech please/golf ball damage

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolomick

Hello,
My wife’s i3 windshield got destroyed by a golf ball, and the golfer wants to pay out of pocket. I don’t think he’s going to want to pay the $3500 the dealership quoted me, so I am looking at other options.

Can someone explain the windshield technology to me, so I understand what my options are when using a third-party glass installer? I am confused about the camera and sensors (are they built into the OEM glass?), and if I use a third-party OEM glass installation, can all the other tech be fixed/calibrated by the BMW dealership to save some money? Is there any other gotcha I am not thinking of? Thanks!

get a quote from SAFELITE. That is who many Dealers use anyways.

There is no tech in the windshield and the only issues I have heard about are regarding some clips that break on the pillars so they need to make sure they can install new ones when they install the new windscreen.

I've never had a windscreen replaced so this is anecdotal on my part but that is what I have read from others.

Also- why is it your concern how much he pays or where the work is done? He damaged it. You get to choose the venue to have it properly repaired.

I just had my windshield replaced due to a crack, the quote was $2150 CAD for a genuine BMW-stamped glass, not an aftermarket one (which the body shop warned me not to choose due to fitment issues and poorer quality glass). I also noticed that if you're returning a lease one of the requirements (at least here in Canada) is that the windshield has the official BMW logo marking on it... obviously they know the aftermarket stuff is poor.

Jeez that's a lot less than here, it's like $800 for the glass, $300 for sensor, then moldings, then 5-6 hours labor. I think I'm gonna go OEM glass with a third party installer since the dealers are criminals. I'll get the sensors recalibrated there *maybe*.

Forgive me, but I fail to see why you are trying to save someone else's money; if he has admitted fault then you need to be made whole. And the only way to do that is to have the vehicle in exactly the same state as it was prior to the golf ball impact. That is with a factory installed windshield.

Your proposed plan of buying an original glass and having someone else install it, then have the dealer install and calibrate the electronics is the perfect scenario for disaster, if there is ever a subsequent problem you will be witness to an Olympic level episode of blame/responsibility passing.

Get the windshield fixed by the dealer, if the golfer balks at the cost, tell him to claim on his insurance.

This is not your problem.

EvanstonI3 said:
get a quote from SAFELITE. That is who many Dealers use anyways.

There is no tech in the windshield and the only issues I have heard about are regarding some clips that break on the pillars so they need to make sure they can install new ones when they install the new windscreen.

I've never had a windscreen replaced so this is anecdotal on my part but that is what I have read from others.

Also- why is it your concern how much he pays or where the work is done? He damaged it. You get to choose the venue to have it properly repaired.

I've used Safelight before. No complaints.

I doubt run of the mill dealership have people to change a windshield. They will probably source it out, similar to body shop/paint work.

I remember in facebook group a year or so ago there was someone who mentioned windshield replacement company (I think it was safelit, but I am not sure) wants to use Fuyao glass. Fuyao is a reputable company that makes many OEM glass. The original windshield in my i3 is by Sekurit (Saint-Gobain). Not sure if they use multiple suppliers.

Anyway I think the best approach is to ask safelite to use OEM glass and gasket. They can do that. The OEM glass is not that expensive, I see online price is sub $500.

I just had a crack from a stone in the lower driver's corner of my 2019 i3S. Spread two inches a day. I called Safelite Auto Glass and they are coming next week, charging my auto insurance. After my deductible the price with windshield wiper blades is 549.00 I had them do a windshield on a Honda CRV once and they did a nice job so am hoping for the best on this one. But anyhow if you get a crack, it will spread and Safelite seems a good alternative to a dealer.

If it is their first time, I would ask them to watch a youtube video first. Just promise the tech some tip and ask him to watch the video, rather than trying to find out about i3 quirks on his own.

I had my new windshield for my i3S done yesterday by Safelite glass and they seem to have done a nice job. After my 200.00 deductible the total was 264.00. I guess I will need a giant rain storm to see if it leaks. But so far so good.

2021 I finally made a claim on my front windshield --- too many rocks kicked up and a spider was growing.

State Farm agent was unusually nice and told me that State Farm has had bad experiences not using BMW glass. I did not ask any questions but accepted that they were shipping Safelite BMW glass.

Never pursued what the problems were though.

Good luck!

Back