i3 vs M3 race - this time for real

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyW

Well, kind of :)

Having had my i3 for a week now, I can see it's a nippy thing that takes off from a standstill really well. But I still wasn't sure whether this famous video http://youtu.be/PO5z32L32aY at Brands Hatch was completely right, so I've been waiting for decent weather to get my M3 out of the garage & try it for myself! I was only using the Dynolicious app on my phone, so it's hardly scientific, but I'm afraid I have to report that even without really trying, the M3 whipped the i3's you-know-what. Here are the results:

i3:
eLI1Kbfz.jpg

M3:
urh9YRtO.jpg

This was without using launch control or anything, just putting my foot down and changing (with paddles) as the red lights came on. Oh well, it was nice to think you could have an M3 off the lights in an i3 (I guess you can up to 10mph) but on this evidence at least, it ain't gonna happen.

Here are the protagonists:
bleDNs3K.jpg

ETA: all done on a private racetrack, of course...

Love it. I think any i3 owner can be happy with those numbers.

Just don't try testing 0-100mph next because you might be there a while ;)

The main difference is that the M3 at youtube lost a lot of momentum in the start because it was spinning. You are a better driver :)

AndyW said:
the M3 whipped the i3's you-know-what. Here are the results:

Great testing Andy,

I've got to say though, up to 50mph, to have less than a second between a 400bhp 4 litre beast and a 170 bhp 'leccy motor isn't to shabby :)

Chris.

Lemonypye said:
AndyW said:
the M3 whipped the i3's you-know-what. Here are the results:

Great testing Andy,

I've got to say though, up to 50mph, to have less than a second between a 400bhp 4 litre beast and a 170 bhp 'leccy motor isn't to shabby :)

Chris.

Fair point :) But you can't go wrong in the i3, it's just put your foot down & go; whereas the M3 needs a bit of delicacy to avoid bogging down/wheelspin to get the best out of it. As my skills are limited, I just let it get going without too much throttle, and I'm sure someone with talent could get closer to the published 4.2 to 4.6s 0-60 times (depending which mag you read). So I think the gap's actually wider, but I just wanted to prove to myself the M was quicker, that's all.

After doing a few Dynolicious runs today, the computer's had a fit at my driving style and decided my 100% range equals 65 miles! It's been 75 miles most of this week, and that's after being driven hard all the time, as apart from one day I've had no range worries. Don't worry, future owners, driven sensibly in EP mode, it'll go much further. I think next week I'll try driving for economy, see if the computer likes that more :)

Back