i3s shocks on regular i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLINGMW

At 80k miles my 2017 REX needs replacement dampers. I'm not interested in lowering it, but I would be a fan of a little more control, would the i3s shocks/struts fit a non-s car? They're different part numbers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG6XmK95HxY&t=526s
I just wonder if anyone knows if the length or mounting points are different at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG6XmK95HxY&ab_channel=WiselyAutomotive

No my mistake. I didn't realize it's the same link as I didn't click on it.

The bushings, mounting brackets, and endlinks all have the same part number between the shell shockers 2i3 and the i3S, so there is no reason the i3s shocks/struts wouldn't fit a non-s car.

jamesperson said:
The bushings, mounting brackets, and endlinks all have the same part number between the shell shockers 2i3 and the i3S, so there is no reason the i3s shocks/struts wouldn't fit a non-s car.

Well you were correct. Just validated that firsthand on my 2017 REX. I cannot comment much on the ride quality difference as I had 85k mile OEM units replaced, so of course these feel better. Car rides great, is well controlled through some of my favorite corners, and will feel better autocrossing too. Maybe not an "upgrade", but at least in my case, the "s" dampers happened to be available while the regulars had a longer lead time.

BLINGMW said:
jamesperson said:

Well you were correct. Just validated that firsthand on my 2017 REX. I cannot comment much on the ride quality difference as I had 85k mile OEM units replaced, so of course these feel better. Car rides great, is well controlled through some of my favorite corners, and will feel better autocrossing too. Maybe not an "upgrade", but at least in my case, the "s" dampers happened to be available while the regulars had a longer lead time.

I'd be curious to know how well an i3s will perform with even better tuned, slightly lowered, and more robust cross-bracing. I personally think it'll keep up with a lot of fast cars in the corners with the proper setup.

Even in my i3s, the worst thing about the suspension is the rebound. It's awful IMO. So when I hit a bump mid corner, the car loses composure by quickly bouncing with poor rebound tuning. That makes the rear undulate and ultimately hop and cut power.

One of the issues with i3 suspension is lack of rear sway bar. There is no space for that.

Still much more fun than 90% of EVs on the market, even after 10 years.

Latest posts

Back