Identifying Interior/Exterior Rattles

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alohart said:
Fisher99 said:
I have a pic, but don't see an option to attach it when I post a reply.
Unfortunately, you must post your photo on a publicly-accessible Website and refer to it in your post here using the "Img" tag.

Hmmm... Probably not worth the effort...

Unfortunately, you must post your photo on a publicly-accessible Website and refer to it in your post here using the "Img" tag.
Hmmm... Probably not worth the effort...

If you use the forum a lot, with a Gold level membership - $2.50 US/month (which helps support the forum) you have the ability to put photos in your postings.

So it turns out that in my case, the rattle was not coming from the area in the video that Art posted. It was quite a bit simpler than that. There is a small, flat, plastic trim piece at the right side of the defroster vents at the base of the windshield (passenger side in my case). This small panel doesn't fit tightly and you can slide it around a bit with your fingers. I tried popping it out, but it held on pretty tight and I was afraid of breaking the tabs, so instead I just lifted the right side enough to slide a small shim beneath that end. Before doing so I verified that at that end there was a solid platform beneath the panel. If you go to far towards the other end of the panel it appears that there is an opening beneath. In any case, a small shim beneath the far right end of the panel stops the vibration and thus the nasty and loud rattle. Boy, am I glad to have that annoying rattle gone!

Back