It's October 2015 & new 2014's are still on dealer's lots???

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueusi

First off, thank you mybmwi3.com for existing, in the last few days I've gleaned a wealth of information.

Quick background, I live in the metro Detroit, Michigan area, and currently own an BMW E39 M5 which I use as a daily driver. I love the car but it's time to move on. New job doubled my commute but provides plenty of charging stations at prime parking locations. I was VERY close to purchasing a Ford Focus Electric, but my familiarity with BMW got me to test drive and i3, and quite frankly I was hooked! The only hold out was the price. The used 2014 i3 I test drove, dealer is asking $32K. Used, so no $7,500 tax credit. I've seen similarly equipped i3s (mega package, range extender) for $29K and I thought I'd try and haggle down. Mind you, a 2015 Focus Electric would be $19K after tax credit.

After reading up on the board, the idea of buying a brand new 2014 i3 hit me, so I started looking around and I found one, several in fact. Is this too good to be true? With substantial 2014 markdowns and the tax credit it puts me within striking distance of the Ford Focus! Any caveats? The BMW dealer is telling me the car was never titled or registered but I have the nagging fear it would not qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. Any caveats on why I should approach the deal with caution?

Any resources the board can point me toward in locating more 2014s? Mind you I'm being greedy, I'd really like the Parking Assist package, with young kids and a long driveway I would feel better having an i3 equipped with a backup camera and PDC. The new 2014 I'm looking at currently does not have the parking assist package.

As always, thanks in advance.

If you finance, you should be able to get the full $7,500 rebate from the government. Note you have to be liable for at least $7,500 in taxes to get that full rebate when you file your taxes.

As far as leases, I investigated this on 2014s and was told by a BMW dealer that BMW stopped rebates the $4875 or $7500 on 2014s. So unfortunately you can't get both the 2014 markdowns and the $7500 rebate. :(

If this were possible we'd likely be looking at picking up a second 2014 lease! :lol:

spinball said:
If you finance, you should be able to get the full $7,500 rebate from the government. Note you have to be liable for at least $7,500 in taxes to get that full rebate when you file your taxes.

As far as leases, I investigated this on 2014s and was told by a BMW dealer that BMW stopped rebates the $4875 or $7500 on 2014s. So unfortunately you can't get both the 2014 markdowns and the $7500 rebate. :(

If this were possible we'd likely be looking at picking up a second 2014 lease! :lol:

I'm surprised that there haven't been higher discounts on the remaining 2014s. The highest discount I was offered was $9000 off the MSRP for a 2014.

no2gas, if you are in the market for a new 2014 i3, please contact me. The dealer has three new untitled/unregistered cars. Present discount is well over $10K. Maybe we can work together and get an even better discount by buying more than one car.

Back