New found i3 enthusiast

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianM

9 months in from purchasing a (very expensive) 2017 94Ah Range Extender, I find myself very happy with my plunge into EV ownership.
Not so happy with the way Intelligent Octopus is working, with its random charging schedules, but otherwise happy at the low cost motoring provided by £0.07 per KwH.
Would prefer to be able to use Android Auto on the navigation screen instead of the smartphone, but too tight to buy the additional gizmo for the few times I need SatNav.
Really happy with the range extender (or range anxiety diminisher?) and carry an extra petrol can neatly stored under the bonnet.
Like that I can get fast charging via CCS stations, 25/30 mins for 80%, and so far have had no problems on 250 mile journeys with a bit of planning and a pretty normal pee/coffee break.

BMW-i3-See-Through-Transparency[1].jpg

I've tried a black box that is supposed to convert my phones Android Auto to something the i3's onboard Car Play can display. Unfortunately, the car requires me to enter a code on the sending device (in this case the black box), with no means to do so. So back it went, and I haven't tried others.

However I often run onboard BMW nav and Google Maps side by side and I've only gotten more impressed. BMW Connected Services connects quickly, recognizes spoken points of interest accurately, and often provides me shorter distance across-town routing options that Google does not. Real time traffic conditions are about as accurate as Google's.

And over four years, this service has only become more reliable through progressive back-end upgrades. Though if I can find a working option for a reasonable price, I'd probably go for it anyway.

In any case, welcome to the forum!

Back