The front passenger seat should fold flat!!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoboBMR

Due to the compact size of the i3, I'm surprised BMW didn't include a feature I thought would be obvious to maximize storage space inside. Not sure how many people out there are aware of this, but many cars allow the front passenger seat to fold down flat! This would allow you to transport lumber, a ladder and in my case a surfboard. If the front seat folded flat (towards the dash), you could easily fit an object in 8 feet of length from the hatchback to the front windshield, resting the item on the dash. I used to do this ALL THE TIME in my VW Golf, except I would take the head rest off and recline the passenger seat all the way back. In doing this, I could fit a 9 FOOT SURFBOARD in my car. You read correctly... I could fit a 9 FOOT SURFBOARD INSIDE MY VW GOLF. Really surprised BMW didn't think of adding this very simple feature to maximize what you could carry with you. Especially since BMW doesn't offer roof racks for the i3 and they told me on the phone they have no foreseeable plan if and when they ever will make them available.

While this would indeed be a cool feature, I doubt I would want to give up the even cooler looking super slim single piece front seats with the integrated headrest... Between VW Golf front seats and BMW i3 front seats, I would pick the i3 ones... Just my 2 cents.

It's not a debate about which seats you like better. I'm commenting on much more room i3 owners could have had BMW given more thought to maximizing as much cargo space as possible, that's all. To me this idea is obvious considering 6 to 8 other car manufactures already offer this on their cars. Some cars that are over 10 years old have this feature. It's not a new idea. How BMW missed such an obvious feature leaves me scratching my head. Making a compact car is great but then try to squeeze every square inch you can out of it. I think everyone can agree on that.

Back