UK delivery delays

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Hi ordered BMWi3 for September delivery as a company car, delayed to October then November and now January 15. I do have the chasis number and was advised by my local dealer that the car was in production in September. Do I take it that the dealer has used my build slot for another customer? Very frustrated

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum :p It's so frustrating having your build date moved about after it supposedly went into production last month. I think there's someone else on here who reported something similar and his car was pushed back to 2015. Apparently there was a problem with a particular batch of i3s and they had to be pushed back in the queue.

Given the way BMW UK works, it's unlikely your dealer is cutting corners for someone else. Have you called the i service? They may have more information.

I would ring i team, in my experience they can often provide more meat to the barebones story you get from the dealer. Ultimately the dealer doesn't have time to chase up the context most of the time. It probably won't result in a speed up, but will probably give you context of what exactly is going on.

Thanks I did contact BMWi and they assured me my build slot had not been given away.

I've decided to wait but hope I delivery is early January.

Thanks Tim

Tim said:
Thanks I did contact BMWi and they assured me my build slot had not been given away.

I've decided to wait but hope I delivery is early January.

Thanks Tim

Hi Tim. .. Welcome to the forum... There is quite a lot of busy in the forum of days shifting. . I ordered mine in November, was told a March delivery.. This moved out to June then September. .. then my i3 turned up in May...

I recommend hanging on in there... you won't be disappointed with the i3... its a superb piece of tech.

I had a test drive today at Tunbridge Wells dealer.

So on 30th Oct 2014, for an i3 with Suite interior I was quoted a 11th March 2015 delivery date. The dealer said it is a bit longer lead time due to the leather interior in short supply, and that some customers had their order delayed by 1-2 months about 1 month prior to delivery, so there could be further delays.

Interestingly, the dealer also said they sold 30 vehicles since November last year.

Tim, first welcome to the forum. I've been busy so not catching up much on here. I heard from my dealer that maybe this is the week....or next week.....

Has been built. Shipped to UK. It's definitely the leather that puts it back. I've had a whole summer of not enjoying the tech. Never mind an early Christmas present at this rate.

I think you will find the dealer has a fixed number of slots per month. If they are good and sell them in advance their lead time goes out compared with a less successful seller.

I am with Coopers Reading. They are good. However everyone who lives within 20 miles of Reading and commutes into London and has a company car has ordered one.....so....long long lead times.

What's the best form of contact for BMW on this?

I ordered the REx with Suite in early Feb for Sept delivery, then bumped to early November, then late November and now mid-January - it's very frustrating that people that ordered similar spec cars 2-3 Months after me have their cars already or are due imminently!

Gonville said:
I think you will find the dealer has a fixed number of slots per month. If they are good and sell them in advance their lead time goes out compared with a less successful seller.

I am with Coopers Reading. They are good. However everyone who lives within 20 miles of Reading and commutes into London and has a company car has ordered one.....so....long long lead times.

I got mine through Cooper Reading and this is not what we were told. We were informed that BMW dealerships in the UK are selling on behalf of BMW (ie. acting as middle men) and they have no quota or fixed number of slots--they simply put in an order as and when they come. To this extent, they told us about one company turning up and order 15 i3's, to which they just entered in the order and away they went.

Tying that back to the original post, our order came forward by 2 months due to being non-leather. Every other order they had was leather interior and none of them came forward.

Yes I think that is the case, acting as agents that is, maybe it's the collective UK order stream. There is definitely a difference with the supply to the U.S. taking precedence.

The leather is a set back.

That seems a little off to have ordered in Feb and not have it yet.

On a positive note Coopers phoned half an hour after I posted that. Picking up the car on Saturday. Yahoo.

Well I just ordered a Rex today (1/6/2015)& I was told there was a ten week delivery wait by one salesman & told by another that one i3 had recently been delivered in 5 weeks (I'm dreing of this!), so maybe BMW are catching up with demand, or sales are dropping! Will let you know what happens. Any bets?

Ordered mine 20th April. Have been advised last week that build date is first week in August and to expect delivery late August. Would be nice if turned up soon.

Janner, What was the build date BMW advised when you placed order? I ordered just about every option available, maybe that will affect my delivery.

Ordered 10th April in Australia. Expected delivery on the order is July/Aug.
I was recently told that it is to be June build and delivery probably August delivery.

Alex - BMW advised second week in June when I ordered. It arrived a week earlier. I had quite a few options so car was far from standard.

Hello,

Looking forward to becoming an i3 owner at the end of the month. With regards lead times, here's what I've experienced so far.

Note: this is a UK order.

Order placed May 30th
Build completed June 11th
Prepared for transportation June 17th
Estimated delivery June 29th

Dealership predicts that the vehicle should arrive slightly earlier than the estimate.

My spec is as follows...

I01 i3 IB1
Andesit Silver metallic with BMW i Blue highlight Carum Grey / Cassia Solaric Wool / natural leather
Options
Interior world, Lodge
Media package - BMW Professional
609 Navigation system Professional
6AM Real Time Traffic Information
6AN Information Plus
19" BMW i Turbine-spoke style 429 alloy wheels Comfort Access
DC Rapid Charge preparation
LED headlights

Standard options
Comfort package
Multi-function controls for s'wheel
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Armrest - front, centre
Extended storage
Rain sensor with auto. headlight activation
Automatic Air Conditioning
Cruise control with brake function
Tyre pressure monitoring
Alarm system (Thatcham 1)
Floor mats, velour
First Aid Kit & Triangle
Cup holder
Seat heating, front
AC Fast Charge preparation
Passenger airbag deactivation, front
DAB digital radio
BMW Emergency call
BMW TeleServices
BMW Online Services and Apps Interface
Remote Services

Hope this information helps others overcome their delivery anxiety :D

Just following up on my previous post. As promised, the vehicle arrived on June 29th, and collected it the following day. Looks like BMW have got the overall lead time, from order to delivery, down to about a month.

Back