EV Perks

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

There are four locations within five miles of my house with free Level 2 chargers - one of these locations has 12 chargers. I get free parking at three downtown garages - they all have free Level 2 chargers. I can get the clean air decal for use in the carpool lane, but don't have a need for it.

Chargepoint and plugshare are great resources - you can filter by free stations. In my area, Libraries and City Hall are the places to start looking. I checked the bay area, and Redwood City Library has free chargers - they even have a DC Fast Charger.

Is it still considered a free charge if you have to pay for parking or buy something for validation? There is a BMW DCFC a few miles from my home, but I have to pay to get near it or else buy an overpriced cup of coffee...... It works out at about $4 a charge, not too expensive, but not free either. This is what happens when you put your charging infrastructure in shopping centers and parking lots as opposed to gas stations or other accessible locations. Tesla vs everyone else!

There are two free chargers at my gym and two more at a local grocery store. There is also free charging at the Performing Arts Garage in SF, plus you get to park right next to the exit which is a huge extra (oddly they only have half as many chargers as they do spaces, but it's still a great parking location).

And then of course the EVGO fast chargers are free this year through the Charge Now program and I think the ChargePoint/BMW/VW fast chargers will also be free for i3 owners for at least a limited time, though not certain of that.

Yes, there are definitely perks. Enjoy them while they last as no matter whether EVs are successful, or a fad, the freebies will fade away.

Back