241 miles in a day

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uktechie

I've test driven i3 and now an i3 REX couldn't tell difference as far it goes and did not notice when generator was on.

So I am sold with the way it drives around town it is perfect automatic car, never need to use brake pedal even if sensible so I want one.

First tried it in November last year and since been keeping daily mileage record as I don't work in one place.

Lowest daily mileage was 8 and highest was 241 miles!!

So is anyone similar out there who already running a REX or what do people think, can I get away with it on the odd longer day.

It would mean I would have to keep it to the end of guarantee 8 years or 100000 miles also as only way I could afford it. :!:

Hi

I have had my Rex for 6 days and done 540 miles so far! Mostly this has been done on the battery with one long distance journey (160 mile round trip) which was a combination of battery and Rex. I set the Rex to maintain a SOC at around 20% and it was happy to do so.

I have read a few reports where they say the noise of the Rex is obtrusive..it is definitely NOT....

I know there are a lot of arguments with regards to a pure BEV and I would say for 85% of my journeys a BEV would be fine but...every now and again I need to go further so the availability of the range extender makes (for me at least) the car a useful proposition. without it I would never have considered a car with an 80 mile range.

The car is like nothing else i have driven...so many people love it.

Hi,

How many litres of unleaded used on longer trip do you know?

Crucial for me as figures tight, cannot afford to underestimate running costs.

Is it working out at 4p/mile electric and 17p/mile when extended?

Thanks

Expect electric to rise again soon unless you can recharge from PV in daytime - world fuel prices only likely to go up with tensions in Crimea and ME.

However, most UK suppliers will fix prices till 2015 such as:

https://www.ebico.org.uk/products/equipower

I'd budget i3 in EV at 16ppKwH with 60 mile range and in REX mode at 30 mpg UK with £1.50 a litre over next 2 years and it will give you an idea.

Hopefully you will then save more by driving carefully!

Add in battery degredation if you keep the car more than 2 years

In the German i3 forum, somebody drove 900km yesterday - long trip from Austria to the Italian island of Sardinia. He sent a short report from the ferry, promising more detail later. Of course he did most of that on the REx.

This is the thread:

http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/bmw-i3/fernreise-mit-dem-i3-rex-t4173.html

So 241 miles seems easy.

Frank
Germany

Back