Another "confused about cables" thread

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipPip

Hello, I have an i3 Rex on order here in the UK. Yesterday Chargemaster came out and fitted a charge box for us, £95 upgrade to a 7kw faster version. The distance from the best spot for the chargebox to the driveway was slightly too far for a tethered cable, I need a 6 metre cable, so we had a socket only type box installed and I now need to buy a 6 metre cable. I read repeatedly that I need a "type 2 to type 2" cable for the i3. This is all very well but when I look at cables available online the bewildering options include type 2 male to male, type 2 male to female, type 2 female to female. Anyone know what on earth I am supposed to buy, male to female, male to male....?
Thanks
Dave

Does your EVSE have socket (female) or plug (male)? I would expect the EVSE to be a female connector so you would need a male connector to plug into the EVSE and a female for the car end. Which is the same as any ‘extension’ lead as for safety reasons they tend to be male to female connectors. Someone with a type 2 public charge cable could probably confirm this. The BMW public charge cable is 5 metres and £165.

I originally intended to fit an untethered EVSE until I discovered that it did not come with any cable.

MikeS said:
Does your EVSE have socket (female) or plug (male)? I would expect the EVSE to be a female connector so you would need a male connector to plug into the EVSE and a female for the car end. Which is the same as any ‘extension’ lead as for safety reasons they tend to be male to female connectors. Someone with a type 2 public charge cable could probably confirm this. The BMW public charge cable is 5 metres and £165.

I originally intended to fit an untethered EVSE until I discovered that it did not come with any cable.

Yes it has a socket, so i guess this needs a male and i need a female end to connect to the car based on your reply. That is very useful, thank you.
I guessed untethered was the way i would have to go as 6 metres is about the closest we can get to the parking area. The box is concealed by a bush although with a neat hole in the bush for easy access. This was the advice of a conservation officer as our house is a 450 year old listed thatched cottage in a very heavily protected conservation area. The bush means its not visible from the road which these conservation officer types seem to worry about.
Think I've found a supplier of a 6m lead for sub £200.

MikeS said:

That's not right is it? Unless I misunderstand biology, the car end is a socket. So if the EVSE is a socket too then PipPip needs a male-male cable.

Bill

You see how confusing it is!! Well after extensive Googling indications are that I provably need a male to female. The male end slots in the car and the home charging unit has pins in the socket onto which a female connector slots. Will double check this in the day light tomorrow but I think this is right. The amount of quality information on this online is unbelievably sparse.

PipPip said:
You see how confusing it is!! Well after extensive Googling indications are that I provably need a male to female. The male end slots in the car and the home charging unit has pins in the socket onto which a female connector slots. Will double check this in the day light tomorrow but I think this is right. The amount of quality information on this online is unbelievably sparse.

Actually I think I have it wrong. It is confusing because the ones that are male (like the close up about 3/4 of the way down this page) are heavily recessed so that they can appear to be female. I think this is what is on the car too so you need a female at the car end, Mike was right so apologies there!

http://www.mennekes.de/index.php?id=latest0&L=4&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=47&cHash=2cbd3681e707bf1d7049bf520c120e95

Bill

Bunter said:
PipPip said:

Actually I think I have it wrong. It is confusing because the ones that are male (like the close up about 3/4 of the way down this page) are heavily recessed so that they can appear to be female. I think this is what is on the car too so you need a female at the car end, Mike was right so apologies there!

http://www.mennekes.de/index.php?id=latest0&L=4&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=47&cHash=2cbd3681e707bf1d7049bf520c120e95

Bill

Thanks. Been out with torch and have done a bit more research. You are correct, female end of the cable plugs into the car and I can now clearly see that I need a male end to plug into my charge box. Just been offered a custom built 6 metre male to female cable with locking facility for £179. Will go for that. Happy to PM anyone the details of my solution - Chargemaster Polar 7kw socket unit (seems high quality, way smaller than BMW wallbox) for £95 fitted plus a 32amp 6 metre cable for £179. All up cheaper, neater and more flexible than the BMW wallbox.

PipPip said:
Chargemaster Polar 7kw socket unit (seems high quality, way smaller than BMW wallbox) for £95 fitted plus a 32amp 6 metre cable for £179. All up cheaper, neater and more flexible than the BMW wallbox.

I thought of doing the same as you are thinking. THEN I THOUGHT - every night I come home I need to open my car boot, take the cable out, close the car boot, then open the car plug point, then plug it in, then roll back the cable to plug it into the EVSE end. All that chore EVERYDAY and many a days when it is raining.

So I went for the EVSE Polar charger with the TETHERED cable which neatly rolls behind the box. Just park the car and take the cable and connect it to the car. Easy and quick. Costs the same 95.00 for it.

You can always buy another cable for 175.00 for charging in public chargers.

Just a thought :idea:

regards,
ken

You missed this bit in the OP's first post I think:

PipPip said:
The distance from the best spot for the chargebox to the driveway was slightly too far for a tethered cable, I need a 6 metre cable, so we had a socket only type box installed and I now need to buy a 6 metre cable.

PipPip said:
... custom built 6 metre male to female cable with locking facility for £179.
Hi could you shed light on the 'locking facility' - how does it work?, how secure? how bulky? any pictures?

Thanks

Hi,

the cable is automaticaly locked to the car when the car is locked and/or charging, as it is at the chargers end. It is a motorized latch that catches in a hole in both plugs. Fully internal in car and charger, nothing to see.
Other people cannot disconnect your car- or the chargerplug without brute force. How brute a force can be withstood is an unknown.

Regards, Steven

Back