As you switch from I Remote to BMW connected app...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epirali

Beware. At least on iOS. As they are phasing out I Remote and forcing connected app I started using the connected app. And I was seeing my phone battery plummet during the day I became suspicious. So I turned off all the guidance and "high resolution" setting in the connected drive. And that fixed it.

So beware based on setting the connected drive app may severely impact your battery life. And on top of that it is not compatible with nor will it run with an iPad.

What a giant step backward.

epirali, do have a link to a direct statement from BMW about this?

Is is just USA or worldwide?

iRemote working here...

Google doesn't seem to be able to find any item claiming iRemote is being killed off. Would be a problem for anyone using an Apple watch too...

I saw the story and actually have gotten an email on my BMW account stating I Remote being phased out and to switch to connected. I'll find the email on my laptop and post here later.

epirali said:
I saw the story and actually have gotten an email on my BMW account stating I Remote being phased out and to switch to connected. I'll find the email on my laptop and post here later.
This is what I got:
iremote_010.jpg

On an iPhone, it is important to check every app, default parameters to disable the battery draining modes. For example, "location" should only be enabled with the app is running, not in background mode. If not, set it OFF and when the app starts, it will ask. This helps keep the GPS hardware off, saving the battery.

Bob Wilson

Doesn't sound right. Can't find a replacement for the Apple Watch iRemote app. It might not be the best ever app yet, but it will be a sad Christmas for some if they are killing it off.

1511729_10153337065722454_6985412386917853332_n-640x500.jpg

Just as bad I always use my iPad to get car ready and I guess that's no longer an option. Oh well my lease is up shortly anyway.

Found the Connected app on the US iTunes site:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bmw-connected/id1087277146?mt=8

Also works for the Apple Watch! Maybe BMW are just bringing the apps together so they have one to develop rather than two.

The iRemote works on the iPad, so the Connected app probably will too. Try it.

I33t said:

Also works for the Apple Watch! Maybe BMW are just bringing the apps together so they have one to develop rather than two.

I did it says not compatible and won't download. Also connected app shows ads of sone sort and is very cluttered to me.

epirali said:
I33t said:

I did it says not compatible and won't download. Also connected app shows ads of sone sort and is very cluttered to me.

iTunes doesn't agree, maybe there is an issue or a problem with your iPad:

Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, and 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular.

I33t said:

Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, and 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular.
Note that BMW Connected is compatible with only iPads that include cellular radios for some reason.

alohart said:
Note that BMW Connected is compatible with only iPads that include cellular radios for some reason.
That certainly seems to be the case...I tried last night. I sent BMW an email complaining...it's dumb. Some of the new features about 'tracking' you wouldn't work with just a WiFi connection, but to me, that's a bonus! They already can track the car itself...why do they need to track the iPad as well...if they wanted, they could transfer that info to it once reconnected to a WiFi signal. Better yet, let the car's cellular signal provide a WiFi hotspot!

alohart said:
I33t said:

Yup that's the problem with my iPad alright, iPad Pro WiFi only. Thanks for the catch.

Makes perfect sense, no one would ever use WiFi to control their BMW... :)

ONe of the stated features of the new app is that it 'learns' what you do to provide a better experience...it appears they feel only an always connected device can do that. Personally, I use my tablet on WiFi at home, and my phone while away. Soon (?), I may be restricted to only use my cellphone. A significant loss of flexibility for no good reason!

Sparky said:
My app works on my iPad without cell connection. Maybe I don't understand the problem.
Is the app you're referring to BMW Connected 4.0.560.14 released on 16 December 2016? If so, does your iPad not have a cellular radio? If it doesn't, some of us would like to know how you were able to install BMW Connected.

Sparky said:
My iPad does not have a cellular radio. I believe I just installled the iPhone app on my iPad, as I did with the first i3 app.
Yes, the app is the new Bmw Connected app.
FWIW, when I ask the store to install the program, it comes back with the message that says incompatible with your iPad. This is what others are getting, too. I have an iPad Air 2 with the latest software installed.

Sparky said:
My iPad does not have a cellular radio. I believe I just installled the iPhone app on my iPad, as I did with the first i3 app.
Yes, the app is the new Bmw Connected app.

Interesting. Can you tell us which iPad and what version of iOS you are running? I have an iPad Pro with 10.2 and it will not allow install as incompatible.

Latest posts

Back