As you switch from I Remote to BMW connected app...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparky said:
iPad Air 2, version 10.2. I installed the app a couple of weeks ago when I first received notice of the original becoming obsolete.
The issue is, does yours have a SIM card and a cellular connection? If not, and it installed, it would be interesting to know how, since on mine, it refuses to install and says it is not compatible.

No SIM card, no cell. But it works fine. Maybe some thing was changed in the software in the time between installs. The app works just like the old one. Like you, I only use the iPad at home with wifi.

Sparky said:
iPad Air 2, version 10.2. I installed the app a couple of weeks ago when I first received notice of the original becoming obsolete.
Hmm, the current BMW Connected version was released on 15 December, so maybe you installed the previous version. Maybe the current version has the cellular phone requirement whereas the previous version did not.

Sparky said:
Just checked. I have version 4.0.560.14.
That's the current version. It's "not compatible" with my iPad 3 WiFi-only and won't install as others have reported. You've got some sort of magic touch that the rest of us don't have.

Or maybe there is an interesting loophole that if it's already installed (older version) it will update but those of us who tried to install the latest without previous installs get the error.

That screenshot is clearly referring to the 'My BMW Remote' app, which appears to be now replaced with a new 'BMW Connected' app (which has Apple Watch support). They have also renamed the older BMW Connected app to 'BMW Connected Classic' to highlight this.

And none of this appears to have anything to do with the special 'BMW i Remote' app, which is uniquely for 'i' vehicle owners. It's still current in the App Store, but there is every possibility they can integrate the i Remote functions into the new Connected app.

nitramluap said:
And none of this appears to have anything to do with the special 'BMW i Remote' app, which is uniquely for 'i' vehicle owners. It's still current in the App Store, but there is every possibility they can integrate the i Remote functions into the new Connected app.

The point about classic version is interesting. But this whole discussion started because the I remote is being discontinued.

BMW NA certainly has mucked up this transition. The email message they sent refers to the BMW Remote app, not the i Remote app. My iPhone still has the older BMW Remote app that was used with pre-2014 vehicles such as my '09 E90. I initially thought the email referred to that one since they're deactivating BMW Assist on older vehicles because the cell network compatible with those vehicles (2G?) is going away. In fact, attempting to launch BMW Remote pulls up an ad for the new Connected app.

I emailed the i Concierge team for clarification. Sure enough, they meant i Remote. For now, both apps work but who knows how long that will hold.

As far as I can tell, Connected now includes all the functionality of i Remote. (Aesthetically I prefer i Remote but I realize not everyone will agree; based on comments here over the years I'm guessing I might be in the minority.) Two actual improvements are that the Connected remote functions now include Unlock and the vehicle artwork matches my i3 with both body color and wheels. The North America i Remote app only shows the Lock option and while it depicts the i3 in the correct color but the wheels were the optional 20" that I don't have.

I just tested Unlock and it did indeed unlock the driver's door. You do have to enter your BMW Assist password, not the PIN you set up in the app, then allow about a minute for the app to connect to the server and the server to the vehicle. I'm not sure why anyone would need it but at least those of us in North America finally get access to a function the rest of the world has had all along.

stumbledotcom said:
As far as I can tell, Connected now includes all the functionality of i Remote. (Aesthetically I prefer i Remote but I realize not everyone will agree; based on comments here over the years I'm guessing I might be in the minority.)

Yes, I think you're correct. While the 'i Remote' app is still current it does appear that all its functionality will be rolled into the new 'Connected' app.

I also agree with you about the aesthetics. The 'i Remote' app looked much more futuristic IMHO.

Connected does NOT have the same functionality as iRemote. iRemote provides the efficiency data and precondition timer. These are important functions to make best use of the i3 range.

pfanning said:
Connected does NOT have the same functionality as iRemote. iRemote provides the efficiency data and precondition timer. These are important functions to make best use of the i3 range.

Efficiency is missing, but if you look VERY CAREFULLY you may find the hidden preconditioning timer setting. It is at the bottom of the remote commands and when you select that it goes to the timer page. Everything is much more obfuscated and small, but hey at least they left room to constantly give you marketing messages and/or to prompt you to let them access your contacts and movements for marketing data. So at least you have that benefit from switching. (end snark)

pfanning said:
Connected does NOT have the same functionality as iRemote. iRemote provides the efficiency data and precondition timer…

Both efficiency data and pre-condition timer are in Connect. To access either, tap anywhere above the map on the main screen. That reveals a panel with two sections. Remote includes both immediate climate control activation and set departure time, as epirali noted. If you toggle to the Status side, you will see the efficiency data. Connect is missing the bling—animation, colors, community comparison—but the identical data is present.

Please don’t take this attempt to correct facts as a defense of Connect or the way BMW NA has handled this transition. I remain irritated. I find BMW justifying Connect by claiming it improves over time by learning the owner’s behavior particularly galling. My i3 is a BEV yet when I launch Connect, I see the option to find nearby fuel stations more prominent than charging stations. And under Status, I get a reminder that I’m due for an emissions inspection in 2024. Come on!

Regarding iPad usage, Connect would not install on my iPad Pro WiFi but it installs and runs on our iPad mini 2 WiFi + Cellular.

FWIW, just tried downloading the new App on my iPad Air 2 wifi and getting the same "incompatible" message.

App works fine on my iPhone 6. Hasn't crashed at all and haven't noticed any great degradation in battery life. All the functionality appears to be there (maybe minus some pretty pictures of flowers and the community comparison data which to be honest I don't need anyway)

Checked the mapping function and send to car worked fine and really quickly yesterday. Then again, Google Maps "Send to car" on my iMac still works perfectly too if I really need Google.

Both efficiency data and pre-condition timer are in Connect. To access either, tap anywhere above the map on the main screen. That reveals a panel with two sections. Remote includes both immediate climate control activation and set departure time, as epirali noted. If you toggle to the Status side, you will see the efficiency data.

This is not correct in the US Android version 2.0.0.1477. The efficiency data nor pre-condition timer settings are available in Connect.

I even uninstalled, restarted, and reinstalled just to be sure I had the latest app from the google play store.

As noted, the Connect app is less intuitive as well.

pfanning is correct, for at least a number of us in the US, running the latest Android version of BMW Connected, it does not have the widgets present for scheduling pre-conditioning. Unlock is now present, and the last trip efficiency is there, but no access to scheduling pre-conditioning Unfortunately, app also won't allow screen shots to be taken, so it's hard to send "proof" to BMW that the app is screwed up.

Yep...at least on Android, no access to the departure menu. You can activate the cabin conditioning, but that's probably because it is geared more towards their 'normal' line and hybrids...not the i3 which sort of appears to be an afterthought!

I am so glad I found this thread! I had already lost the will to live and was about to post about it on here.

iRemote (the dreaded old app) appears to have been phased out now (at least for EU or UK) and someone on Twitter told me that BMW Connected was the new app. I had an old version of BMW Connected installed, which didn't appear as an update on the iOS App Store. I was understandably confused.

Then I spotted the screenshots on here and thought "why not remove the Remote app and reinstall". Eh presto, I suddenly had a new BMW Connected app, which after re-registration and 2-3 minutes of waiting found my vehicle, settings and even departure times.

I've seen screenshots of dashboard messages making customers aware of the change, but I had no such thing. I work in IT myself and have to say that the switch to this new app has been handled very poorly by BMW. It just shows again that many german companies simply don't have web and mobile in their DNA.

Latest posts

Back