battery life

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugyan

hello

my bmw i3 is one year old. during the week days i charge it with wall charger and on weekends i use supercharger.
each time i charge it to the full and i charge it again when 30-40km left.
i used to see around 125 -120 km on the display when i fully charge it.
nowadays i begin to see 100 -107 km on the display when i fully charge.
since i never get to the bottom 0 km, i can't tell if the 130 km range promised lost its capacity.
what do you think? is my battery's life reduced? what do you suggest me to do?

one more thing, do i need to change my tires with winter tire? it only snows a week for year.

thank you so much for helping me out!
cheers,

You don't give us a clue where you are in the world, But in the UK wintertime when it is @ 5deg Celsius for much of the time it is perfectly normal to see a reduction in the indicated range of 25-30%. Using Eco Pro, or Eco Pro plus and Seat heating will mitigate this. As will the use of Mains electricity while Pre-conditioning before you start off. Driving style and terrain are still factors as well.

As for Winter Tyres, Grip is improved in the cold even if it is not snowing, they are a big safety advantage. Only you can decide if you wish to take the risk.

PluviaPlumbum said:
You don't give us a clue where you are in the world, But in the UK wintertime when it is @ 5deg Celsius for much of the time it is perfectly normal to see a reduction in the indicated range of 25-30%. Using Eco Pro, or Eco Pro plus and Seat heating will mitigate this. As will the use of Mains electricity while Pre-conditioning before you start off. Driving style and terrain are still factors as well.

As for Winter Tyres, Grip is improved in the cold even if it is not snowing, they are a big safety advantage. Only you can decide if you wish to take the risk.

thank you so much for the answer! btw, i'm in istanbul.
the weather is not below 10C at all, i guess the weather has nothing to with it.

tugyan said:
thank you so much for the answer! btw, i'm in istanbul.
the weather is not below 10C at all, i guess the weather has nothing to with it.

Not as much effect as places that go sub zero, but temperature does have an effect.

istanbulweather.png

tugyan said:
is my battery's life reduced?
Not likely. The range estimate varies widely depending on many things, so it shouldn't be used to judge the battery pack's capacity.

tugyan said:
what do you suggest me to do?
Keep on truckin' :)

If you want to learn what your car estimates its battery capacity to be, you should be able to access "Batt. Kapa. Max." via the hidden service menu. The "normal" usable capacity is 18.8 kWh, but the "Batt. Kapa. Max." value can vary probably with temperature, the car's software version, etc., so one should probably average its value over several readings to get a good idea of the actual capacity.

tugyan said:
one more thing, do i need to change my tires with winter tire? it only snows a week for year.
I would think that snow tires would not be necessary, and not very common in Istanbul. However, if your i3 is equipped with summer tires (all 20" wheels or 19" wheels with the summer tire option), you would need to be very careful if snow is accumulating on the roads.

You might send a private message to DocRush, a member of this forum, to ask for his recommendations since he, too, lives in Istanbul.

thank you so much guys for the help.
i couldn't dare to try to sneak into hidden service menu.
i fear that i might not be able to get back to the original screen.
maybe this capacity guessing thing made me paranoid.
but to be honest, i miss to see you 120 km - 125 km on the dashboard, nowadays all i see maximum 105 - 110 km.

thanks again all!

alohart said:
tugyan said:
is my battery's life reduced?
Not likely. The range estimate varies widely depending on many things, so it shouldn't be used to judge the battery pack's capacity.

tugyan said:
what do you suggest me to do?
Keep on truckin' :)

If you want to learn what your car estimates its battery capacity to be, you should be able to access "Batt. Kapa. Max." via the hidden service menu. The "normal" usable capacity is 18.8 kWh, but the "Batt. Kapa. Max." value can vary probably with temperature, the car's software version, etc., so one should probably average its value over several readings to get a good idea of the actual capacity.

tugyan said:
I would think that snow tires would not be necessary, and not very common in Istanbul. However, if your i3 is equipped with summer tires (all 20" wheels or 19" wheels with the summer tire option), you would need to be very careful if snow is accumulating on the roads.

You might send a private message to DocRush, a member of this forum, to ask for his recommendations since he, too, lives in Istanbul.

Hi,
This is DocRush from İstanbul.

I do want to communicate / meet / introduce with newbies in İstanbul, frankly.

en iyi dileklerimle / with my best wishes

tugyan said:
i couldn't dare to try to sneak into hidden service menu.
i fear that i might not be able to get back to the original screen.
Just press the Start/Stop button to turn off your car. When you next start your car, the display will be normal.

Back