BMW i3 - Best steering of any car I've owned

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I have to say, I've owned at least 40 new cars in my 55+ years of driving and two cars were standouts in the most fun to drive category. The BMW E39 M5 and my crappy little overpriced, nervous steering :D, i3. My list includes Ferrari, BMW, Aston Martin, and many Porsches.

The i3 is such a focused, functional gem, you wonder why anyone in or near a city would drive anything else.

I appreciate precision tools...the steering in the i3 is precise. Expecting it to be numb around the center just implies you do not have the ability to steer very well. It takes a light touch, and not easy with one hand, or if you get distracted by something. But, even then, if you're paying the attention you should be, it is not anywhere near dangerous.

FWIW, I think my 1971 Citroen ID19 had similar direct, precise steering. Difference there, the hydraulics had a cam to provide the force feedback and straight ahead was in the center of a cam, taking force to move it off of center. Still, a very small input caused the car to change direction. It was an acquired taste, too, and was essentially like nothing else being sold at the time.

When I first got mine I was a little surprised at how sensitive the steering was. However, like the regenerative braking, after a short amount of time driving it I quickly got used to it and the sensitivity was no longer an issue or concern. I drive with one hand a lot of the time and don't find myself wandering within the lane or having difficulty driving driving straight at all. I like the quick steering now, in fact.

TomMoloughney said:
When I first got mine I was a little surprised at how sensitive the steering was. However, like the regenerative braking, after a short amount of time driving it I quickly got used to it and the sensitivity was no longer an issue or concern. I drive with one hand a lot of the time and don't find myself wandering within the lane or having difficulty driving driving straight at all. I like the quick steering now, in fact.

I would echo this. In fact given the recent discussions I have been especially conscious of how the steering feels and operates and must say that I remain delighted with the feel and precision of the I3’s steering. It was a very windy day yesterday on the Sussex coast with winds around 40 to 45 mph so I was interested to see what the steering felt like driving long the coastal road to Brighton along to cliffs (In US speak very small hills!) - and it felt very stable, with absolutely no sense of not being in control. Our other car is a BMW X1 and the I3 is easily as stable to drive as that car.

Recently did a long journey with 3 passengers and luggage for a two week cruise - running the car on higher inflations 35psi front 41psi rear helped eliminate the tendency to wander within the lane. If anything I find the steering quite firm at dead centre, but very responsive when you give an input. After 3500 miles I have adapted and have no issues with the way the car handles.

In case anyone didn't catch it there is an interesting Track battle of i3 Rex vs a Suzuki Swift ( Cheap FWD hot hatch for our American friends) Done by Auto Express so they should be speaking from a great deal of experience of handling matters.

https://youtu.be/jMK_MbSrXZc?list=PLCDxtKM_aq359KmPV9WHYPfqoC2CqleKR

The other thread about the steering being the worst ever has baffled me. My first-love car was my Lancia Aprilia and that had legendary steering, cornering... I could go on. But the i3 is fast displacing it as my favourite car :oops: .
I think the i3's steering is outstandingly good, and my wife (by no stretch of the imagination is she a petrolhead!) loves it and the rest of the car too. Furthermore, the car never suffers from "tram-lining" in the inside lane of the motorways where lorries make grooves unlike many modern cars.
The car was in the shop last week and they lent me a 320D XDrive while they had mine. It was horrible after the i3! Woolly steering (yes!), noisy, slow to respond to accelerator and, worst of all, it just kept rolling when I took my foot off the accelerator :eek: . I hadn't realised how nice one-pedal motoring is.

I think this is a cultural thing.

As an Expatriate Brit, I grew up with cars with responsive steering.
Most Americans grew up with Detroit cars where the steering only offers a suggestion on where the car should go next.

It was quite a shock to drive our first US car, a Chevy.
You could turn the wheel 30 degrees and nothing notable happened.

The I3 steering is great.
End of story.

redbarn said:
I think this is a cultural thing.

As an Expatriate Brit, I grew up with cars with responsive steering.
Most Americans grew up with Detroit cars where the steering only offers a suggestion on where the car should go next.

It was quite a shock to drive our first US car, a Chevy.
You could turn the wheel 30 degrees and nothing notable happened.

The I3 steering is great.
End of story.

Good point there. I do think the U.S. Car steering has improved since then though.

I just loved the EV driving experience and found test drive after test drive just kept coming to conclusion i3 was special and I had to find the extra cash to get my REX, no regrets, now done over 17000 miles.

Not saying it is perfect but thought it was worth the gamble on residuals even if it means keeping longer than I usually do.

In case this was missed over on the "worst" topic, cross-posting here (is that allowed?).
Several observations:

• Like many rear-engine cars I've owned, the i3 can benefit from lower tire pressure in front. BMW's spec is a bit high for my taste and the high speed dynamics of the car, probably for reasons concerning range, cornering, and potential pothole damage. I am currently running 27 psi in the 19" tires, and the high speed stability is much better - almost normal feeling. Of course this pressure is at the peril of potential pothole damage, but I much prefer it overall. It doesn't seem to affect cornering adhesion in most normal driving - maybe if you're racing it.

I feel the i3 steering geometry could benefit from more caster (as someone previously mentioned). This would provide more mechanical self-centering at speed, and a bit more weight in the steering feedback. Unfortunately, this is not adjustable on most strut type suspension, including the i3. It is what it is, unless BMW changes the setup.

The 20" tires are more sensitive to steering input (and bumps), due to the lower profile / stiffer sidewalls. That's why I got the 19" tires.

As the tires wear-in a bit, the sensitivity to road surfaces, joints, crowns, etc. gets a bit better.

Driving with elbows on the armrests, rather than suspended from the wheel, helps maintain stability at speed.

All that said, I don't consider the dynamics dangerous. It annoyed me a bit at first until I became more accustomed to it and lowered the front pressures.

Back