BMW I3 -Most Dangerious Steering Of Any Car I've Owned!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely disagree with the OP. I think the i3 has the best steering of any vehicle I have driven. And that includes the E90 with sports suspension I also own. But 90% of my driving is in an urban core at speeds of 45mph or less. In that environment I value quick response and agility over straight-line stability. I believe BMW got the priorities right with the i3.

It seems to me that the people who dislike the i3's steering feel are basing their opinions on the fact that the vehicle responds immediately to driver input. They've probably spent so much time in cars with truly bad steering—slow, no center response, dull—they accept it as the norm.

Hi guys,

first, let me agree that the directness of the steering is a bit of an aquired taste. I am liking it 99% of the time, but not all the time. But this is beside the point, for it is personal preference. What isn't is the remark made about safety. If you can read german, please read this post from 2013 om Bimmertoday.
To summarize in english: during the testing of 28 the cars for the '14 European Car of the Year competition, the test crew expected the i3 to end up in mid-field during the 'moose test' (*). To their surprise, the i3 ended up on a shared third place. With an entrance speed of 73 km/h it was only bested by the Porsche Cayman and the Tesla Mod S and bang on par with the BMW 4 series coupé.

Regards, Steven

(*) moose test, or 'elch test' : standard procedure since the infamous 1st gen Mercedes A class debacle.

I learned to drive in the mid-west in the early seventies on a Chevy Biscayne with no power steering. Pulling on the steering required both hands and developed some muscles.

During a holiday I drove my Dad's Pontiac Firebird that had power steering. He was paranoid that I would heave on the wheel in an emergency and cause the car to flip over. His nervousness was recounted to me in tales of ladies of small physical stature who had significant accidents when letting one wheel drop onto a soft hard shoulder or median. As the car slewed into the soft sand they would pull hard on the steering and due to the strength of the power steering end up flipping the car into a sometimes fatal roll - particularly soft tops at that time.

I think steering has become more sophisticated now and is maybe speed adaptable and has some aspects of stability control/anti skid.

Is it perhaps the quick reactions of the OP's partner causing the situation? I think in Aerospace this is called a "pilot induced oscilation"?

The steering on the i3 reminds me of that on my ICEtrike...very direct, small movements cause significant changes in direction. Someone riding it for the first time says they can't keep it going straight! I don't have any problem, although maybe the first day or so. The steering on the i3 just requires a light touch and some smoothness...small corrections are all it generally takes. When I was learning to drive, the instructor placed a glass milk bottle on the floor. Each time you knocked it over, either by accelerating, slowing, or turning less than smoothly, you lost 5-points for the day's driving experience. You quickly learned to become quite smooth in your driving. Note, you can do this quickly...you don't have to be driving like a grandma, but you must do things very smoothly. FWIW, a good percentage of drivers out there are much less than smooth. The i3 rewards those that are.

stumbledotcom said:
It seems to me that the people who dislike the i3's steering feel are basing their opinions on the fact that the vehicle responds immediately to driver input. They've probably spent so much time in cars with truly bad steering—slow, no center response, dull—they accept it as the norm.

I think you are discounting a lot by saying this. I for one drive and have driven cars with infinitely more capable steering and response. But the responsiveness of the steering MUST match the nature and capability of the car. And overly responsive steering is NOT the same as one that provides correct feedback and control.

My comment is simply this: the i3 as a car does NOT need a fake "sporty" response. What would have made more sense for a city car is to have a curved steering, where in slow speed in reacts just as it does now for "nimble" city driving, but reduced the reaction at higher and higher speeds.

The problem with the i3's steering is not the speed or responsiveness, but the lack of a neutral zone at dead center. Couple that with front geometry that has insufficient self centering (castor?) and you have a car that has to be constantly steered or else it will wander off course. This is a recipe for driver fatigue and has nothing to do with how the car feels when being steered, which is actually pretty good.

Idleup said:
MikeS said:
drb said:
I have just the opposite point of view from the person who started this thread. I like the quick, responsive steering on the i3 and would not want to see it changed. The steering is a little like the regenerative braking--you need to get used to it. But once you do, at least for me, I never want to go back to a vehicle without it. I am coming on my first anniversary with the i3 REx and am counting 10,000 miles.
I and my wife both like the steering on our i3. It is more responsive than our X1 but we both got used to it really quickly and now love its responsiveness. It is certainly not dangerous!

OK I think the problem is you're not really aware what the problem is so you can't feel it - there is hundreds of complaints nation wide with this problem. The car is absolutely dangerous at speeds above 60 mph.

How can you claim it is dangerous above 60 mph? I regularly drive well in excess of this and have never felt at risk! Have you had an accident?

The first new car I ever bought was a Citroen. Talk about responsive steering...VERY direct, very small corrections made direct changes in direction. Returning from your lane after passing someone, it took four distinct motions: right, left to center yourself in the lane, right to straighten yourself out, and then return to center to stay in the center of the lane. Very distinct, direct motions.

Today's cars tend to be somewhat mushy, the i3 is not, it needs to be pointed where you want by someone who is paying attention with some skill. If you don't like it, I guess maybe it's not the proper car for you. I don't have any issues going between my two cars regarding steering...I do miss the one-pedal action on the i3 and get thrown off by the coasting of the ICE, and stopping isn't as smooth until you re-acclimate, but I do not consider this dangerous, but some could. Personally, I liked it better before they dialed back the regen, but then, people were complaining that they could not drive it smoothly. YOur normal ICE coasts when you let off the pedal...the i3 can, but only if you feather things. Different car, different reaction, both work.

Thanks for the reply's- I never once said the I3 was top heavy - I only corrected your statement that the car had a low CG because the batteries were in the floor - the problem is there is a lot of weight that is not floor level like all the passengers, RX, and the entire life module, etc.

As I mentioned in 50 years of driving practically every car made - no car has ever been this sensitive to steering inputs - if you think its a BMW performance thing then think again because my I8 is one of the best handling cars I've owned and it does not have over-sensitive steering like the I3.

BMW like other car manufactures use speed sensitive steering so as the speed increases - the the assist decreases. This is what is wrong with the I3 the steering is exactly the same regardless of speed.

Let me just leave you with this thought - there is no reason a car should react in travel motion to gesture movements such as pushing a button to roll a window down, turning on a radio, GPS, etc. A final note if you can't feel the steering being too sensitive, then don't worry about it - some drivers are oblivious to feel warnings when something is wrong!

Idleup said:
Thanks for the reply's- I never once said the I3 was top heavy - I only corrected your statement that the car had a low CG because the batteries were in the floor - the problem is there is a lot of weight that is not floor level like all the passengers, RX, and the entire life module, etc.

As I mentioned in 50 years of driving practically every car made - no car has ever been this sensitive to steering inputs - if you think its a BMW performance thing then think again because my I8 is one of the best handling cars I've owned and it does not have over-sensitive steering like the I3.

BMW like other car manufactures use speed sensitive steering so as the speed increases - the the assist decreases. This is what is wrong with the I3 the steering is exactly the same regardless of speed.

Let me just leave you with this thought - there is no reason a car should react in travel motion to gesture movements such as pushing a button to roll a window down, turning on a radio, GPS, etc. A final note if you can't feel the steering being too sensitive, then don't worry about it - some drivers are oblivious to feel warnings when something is wrong!

+1 very well put.

Idleup said:

I can agree with this. Leave it as-is for the city, but lessen it at speeds say 55 mph or greater.

Idleup said:
some drivers are oblivious to feel warnings when something is wrong!
Wow, I must have been doing something really wrong these past 37k miles then. How in the world did I keep it on the road, even when doing up to 600 miles a day ?

Not kidding, the i8 is a much better grand tourer, but aren't you a tad harsh here ?

-Steven

Quote " - there is no reason a car should react in travel motion to gesture movements such as pushing a button to roll a window down, turning on a radio, GPS, etc. A final note if you can't feel the steering being too sensitive, then don't worry about it - some drivers are oblivious to feel warnings when something is wrong!

My wife and I have no trouble at all steering the car whatever we are doing (legally!) in the car. We can use any of the controls and never have any problems with the steering - some drivers are over sensitive or can’t keep their hands still, maybe it you!

MikeS said:
Quote " - there is no reason a car should react in travel motion to gesture movements such as pushing a button to roll a window down, turning on a radio, GPS, etc. A final note if you can't feel the steering being too sensitive, then don't worry about it - some drivers are oblivious to feel warnings when something is wrong!

My wife and I have no trouble at all steering the car whatever we are doing (legally!) in the car. We can use any of the controls and never have any problems with the steering - some drivers are over sensitive or can’t keep their hands still, maybe it you!

Ok you're in good shape - drive carefully!

One's first priority behind the wheel is safely piloting the vehicle. Many people focus too close to the front of the car and do not make smooth, small corrections as required. The i3 goes where it is pointed.

Have you spoken to BMW about your feelings?

I haven't got the same feeling of being over sensitive myself but as you say compared to other cars you have had it is a lot lighter.

The narrow tyres likely a contribution but interesting if you can get any answers from BMW.

I think the problem here is not the car.

The i3 has very direct steering with little to no dead zone in the center. Some people just can't handle that apparently. These are qualities I LOOK for in a car!

One of my other cars is also a German made car with direct steering and no dead spot. The steering is really good, has better feel than the i3, is also heavier, but it is also a lot more fidgety than the i3.

If you are having trouble getting used to the i3 steering, maybe there is a fault. Check your tyre pressures and wheel alignment.

If you want Pontiac steering, don't buy an i3. :)

I33t said:
I think the problem here is not the car.

The i3 has very direct steering with little to no dead zone in the center. Some people just can't handle that apparently. These are qualities I LOOK for in a car!

One of my other cars is also a German made car with direct steering and no dead spot. The steering is really good, has better feel than the i3, is also heavier, but it is also a lot more fidgety than the i3.

If you are having trouble getting used to the i3 steering, maybe there is a fault. Check your tyre pressures and wheel alignment.

If you want Pontiac steering, don't buy an i3. :)

Don't want to restart this again, but you know a few people here (including me) disagree with you. No need to tell people that they "can't handle it" and that they want "Pontiac" steering, when we are pointing out valid behaviors of the cars steering system.

You and other like the behavior, I and others do not. I think BMW would do themselves a lot of good if they adopted the suggestion made here to have user settable responsiveness for the steering as part of the settings. I would label the current one "video game controller" mode personally.

Is there possibly a difference across different vehicles? I'd be curious if Idleup or Epirali have driven a few other i3's and observed the same behavior. It really seems (from monitoring the comments) that there are 2 camps here - those who are experiencing extremely twitchy steering at highway speeds and those who aren't (or aren't noticing it). Its really hard to tell if there is a problem when one person drives one car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back