BMW i3 - Why did you get one, OR Why do you want one?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, BMW says above 25mph, it' more efficient to run with the a/c than with the windows open on the i3. Personally, the sunroof tends to steal headroom that I can't afford, plus, I do not like the glare. To each, their own, but I hate it when they make them standard! The original announcement for US sales had the thing standard on most worlds. Glad the feds wouldn't let them. Not sure if they had to change the roof to comply with the metal requirement, or they lobbied for a change.

Does BMW mean to use the VENT part of the a/c to just blow outside air through the car over 25mph? Or are they saying using the actual COOLING function of the a/c is more efficient than open windows?

Also I assume that cranking the a/c is going to use more energy than just having it on a trickle...

I think having the a/c on high would be quite a power drain.

slipnslider said:
Does BMW mean to use the VENT part of the a/c to just blow outside air through the car over 25mph? Or are they saying using the actual COOLING function of the a/c is more efficient than open windows?
Does the i3 have just a vent mode in which forward motion can pass air over the A/C heat exchanger with the A/C compressor running? I don't think so. I think the fan is on whenever the A/C is on.

alohart said:
slipnslider said:
Does the i3 have just a vent mode in which forward motion can pass air over the A/C heat exchanger with the A/C compressor running? I don't think so. I think the fan is on whenever the A/C is on.

Oh, I just assumed it had that since every other car does. You're saying there's no way to run the air vents without running the actual air conditioning cooling unit?

slipnslider said:
alohart said:
slipnslider said:

Oh, I just assumed it had that since every other car does. You're saying there's no way to run the air vents without running the actual air conditioning cooling unit?

Set to EcoPro+ and the fan definitely operates but no A/C runs! You can see no illuminated temp on the temp dial.

Opening the windows creates drag. The drag, once you get above 25mph in the i3 is larger than the power required to run the a/c, at least once it's in a steady-state. It would initially take more if the car was heat soaked, but if you have the car on the EVSE, and precondition, starting with it already conditioned, the HVAC system can maintain quite well without high current loads after you get away in most climates.

YOu can turn the a/c off and just rely on the ventilation system, but if the sensor discovers the windows are fogging up, it will activate it to clear them.

slipnslider said:
Not all cars do. Our 2000 Honda Insight doesn't have a climate control mode in which air flows through the climate control system due to forward motion only. Like our i3, the climate control fan must be on for air to flow.

My friend allowed me to test drive his i3, and I enjoyed its quiet and smooth drive. Then I decided to buy one.

alohart said:
slipnslider said:
Not all cars do. Our 2000 Honda Insight doesn't have a climate control mode in which air flows through the climate control system due to forward motion only. Like our i3, the climate control fan must be on for air to flow.
FOr a number of years now, the fan will stay on , at least on low, in cars to help avoid CO poisoning. Even if you put the system into recirc mode, it won't stay there forever...it will change back on its own. I'm not in the car now, but I do seem to remember an A/C button...turning that off will prevent the A/C from turning on unless the car detects the windows fogging up, then, again, it will turn it on automatically. Some will say the car is too smart for its own good, but hey, that's the way it is.

I just bought a 2014 REX about a month and a half ago. Hope this is what you were looking for:

Info:
a) I live 15 1/2 miles from work one way
b) I average about 7500 miles a year on my personal car (wife has a car, we share them sometimes)

Reasons:
1) I wanted an EV to take advantage of my work installing a level 2 EVSE in the very front of the parking lot and not only do I get to charge pretty much for free any day I want, the security guard told me to just park there since I live in Dallas,Texas and not may folks (yet) have EV's. Only one other EV at work and we each take one of the spots. When more EV's come, we will share for charging only

2) Did not want the expense of a "backup" ICE car but my wife has one that is a cross-over SUV. It's quiet at speed (with radio on you can barely if at all hear it, I do not) and so far, is my one and only car to replace my ICE car (saved insurance and depreciation of one just sitting around)

3) I wanted a 200 plus mile EV with NO ICE function but that meant used Tesla or wait for a Bolt. The i3 was kinda the best of both worlds for now.

4) I bought a 2014 used (Mega, 6,500 miles, Park Assist, Tech, Heated Seats, DC Fast Charge) for just a few pennies over $22k (bought March 2017) and it still had BMW factory warranty until February 2019 to answer my initial concerns about BMW quality (the groups read pretty well and all seems ok but I was still uneasy about BMW after prior experiences) I plan to drive it until the warranty is nearly out and then choose another EV path based on what is avail around Christmas 2018 unless something really compelling makes me change. (Bolts will be a year old or more, Leaf will most likely be 1 year old and have about a 180-220 is mile range battery depending on the release) It was fairly low in the depreciation curve even though a 80 mile range EV will hit the skids pretty quick if 2-3 or more companies offer sub $45k'ish, 200 mile range'ish vehicles. It is a risk I am willing to offset with free fuel (remember work pays for charging, I am saving hundreds a month on fuel)

5) The BMW was nicely equipped for the price I had to pay. EV/ICE blend aside, it was a fun to drive, interesting car for about what I would pay for a Camry and not get prime parking at work and free fuel.

6) I like smaller cars and EV's can offer nice space for comfort inside. Easy to park, insane turning radius for downtown and parking. I am 6'2" and weigh about 265 lbs (think NFL linebacker lol) and I am quite comfortable in the car. I can ride in the back seat even for periods of time. I would ride to mom's, lunch etc. a 5 mile road trip, maybe not so much for a cross country trip but even in the back seat it is surprisingly comfortable. Power Module and Life Module FTW (or whatever they call them...) also it puts you "on top" of the car, so the seating position feels quite high and very easy to get in and out of. I do not feel like I am dropping down into a bucket to get in it and neither does my 73 year old father (he bought one also last week after riding in mine a few times).

7) The space in the car is quite useable. There are a few posts on the Facebook group for i3's that show people hauling silly amount of junk in their i3 but the point is, with the seats folded down ( and they are flat, very, very nice) I can put my rear i3 cargo blanket down and carry lots of things.

Seemed a nice way to get into EV's and see what they are about. I will get another EV from here just not sure which one. I will consider BMW but based on cost to repair out of warranty, my experience with BMW in the past and the fact I don't have $50k plus in my budget for a new car (and the depreciation even outside of the federal tax credit, I doubt my replacement will be a BMW unless something unforeseen comes along.

For now I am VERY happy with my i3 and what I got , regardless of brand for $22k to "try it out"

If it matters here is why I did not pick other brands/cars I was considering...

1) Nissan Leaf - great prices but serious doubts about thermal management (or lack of any) in Texas. Some initial range loss would bring down the range too low for me and make it a "second car option" instead of ICE replacement.

2) Fiat 500e - surprisingly I liked this car. it was smaller and had no real useable back seat though they are there. Comfort was fine but again. Range of 80 miles or less in real life (other guy at work has one), no real interface for Bluetooth streaming on the 2014/2015 models I was looking at. No backup camera and a bit of a goofy NAV solution with a plug-in TomTom was not really doing it for me. It drove nice and had decent power though.

3) Chevy Volt - with my size, I was riding shoulders next to the "B" pillar. It was very uncomfortable and very tight driving position for me but had nice amenities and no real range anxiety because of their arrangement of how ICE and battery can work together. Candidly if this car would have been more roomy and not based on a small car like the Chevy Cruze I had a 2014 with 4500 miles on it LOADED, I mean Premium loaded for about $17k. I would have bought it instead.

4) Tesla - Price, Price and ... every used Tesla I tried to talk myself into at $55k kinda felt like it had worn quickly in it's limited time on the road. the only ones I could find sub-$50k were all apparently wrecked and repaired and I thought a first experience with an EV should not be with a new manufacturer, wrecked and repaired car considering the limited experience people must have with repairing. Just too freaky. Not to mention I do like a hatchback and the i3 has that down. (also 30k miles meant LOTS of charge cycles and no warranty... not comfort inspiring)

I know that is a lot but maybe it speaks to you (or at least says I am nuts)

Enjoy the journey, for me it was nearly as engaging as the destination.

TexRex (Doug)

Congrats TexRex ! Thanks for taking the time to compose and write your post.

I too want to try out an EV and am actively looking for an i3 for some of the same reasons you mentioned.
Regarding your previous experience with BMW, were most of the problems related to the ICE ? I think BMW will eventually come out with a 200 mile BEV so you wouldn't have to worry about maintenance on the BEV.
I'm impressed that your father also purchased an i3 :)

theothertom said:
Congrats TexRex ! Thanks for taking the time to compose and write your post.

I too want to try out an EV and am actively looking for an i3 for some of the same reasons you mentioned.
Regarding your previous experience with BMW, were most of the problems related to the ICE ? I think BMW will eventually come out with a 200 mile BEV so you wouldn't have to worry about maintenance on the BEV.
I'm impressed that your father also purchased an i3 :)

It was a range of things. Some ICE related, many electrical/gremlin type things. Based on my experience so far with my i3 I see some of it coming. Here are a few of my i3 ones... they are annoying but not enough to discourage me from the car, I love it... seriously and without cynicism...

* Sensors for ACC go off for weird things. Not just a BMW thing I understand but it is on my BMW, so there ya' go. Please Clean that sensor folks! (even though the entire car is spotless and works fine once I set the cruise again)
* One CEL already for an "undocumented error". I recorded it, reset the DTC and told the service guy at BMW. He said the number was computer related and let them know if it happens again
* Mobile phone music Integration does not work with steering wheel, I can change the song forward and backward with either the buttons on the dash or the iDrive wheel but the wheel on the dash only works with USB, radio, etc. Got the BMW "Genius" at the dealer, his i3 does it as well. They promise it "may" be in the next update
* when I back up the right outside mirror sometimes points down, sometimes it does not (yes I have the switch in the correct position) and sometimes it points down and does not come back up without me toggling the switch or cycling the car on and off
* When I brake deeply sometimes I get an error that says " Lighting Error" stop and check exterior lighting and proceed if able (something like that.. I just hit ok and drive on, I have checked and the lights work on the outside, even when braking deeply it comes on and works, just likes to complain I guess

The only odd thing is that I have about 7800 miles on the car now and my tires are fine... they are worn a tad but not unsafe. No nails , screws or potholes bringing me down. Guess I am just lucky in that regard.

and I will never say anything about coding but I hear it is nice ;^)

Enjoy friends...

TexRex (Doug)

TexRex said:
* Sensors for ACC go off for weird things. Not just a BMW thing I understand but it is on my BMW, so there ya' go. Please Clean that sensor folks! (even though the entire car is spotless and works fine once I set the cruise again)
Even with a squeaky clean windshield in front of the ACC camera, the camera can be blinded by the sun and the ACC software can be confused by darkness under a bright underpass, a large white box truck, a polished metal tanker truck, a vehicle with unusual tail lights, etc. These problems could cause ACC to suddenly shut off and return full control to the driver or, more dangerously, to not decelerate behind a slower truck that it was confused by. So ACC is a convenient driver assistant, but it is not perfect, so the driver must remain ready to take control.

TexRex said:
* when I back up the right outside mirror sometimes points down, sometimes it does not (yes I have the switch in the correct position) and sometimes it points down and does not come back up without me toggling the switch or cycling the car on and off
First I've read about that problem. Many i3 drivers aren't aware of this feature so wouldn't notice if it did not work correctly.

TexRex said:
* When I brake deeply sometimes I get an error that says " Lighting Error" stop and check exterior lighting and proceed if able (something like that..
i3 owners who have coded their brake lights to flash during hard braking have reported a similar error.

I just bought a used 2014 Giga BEV on Saturday (Earth Day!). I started my car search looking for a small daily driver so that I wouldn't have to negotiate traffic and parking with my Honda Ridgeline every day. I still need the Ridgeline for family trips, but that only happens every 2 or 3 months. Once I became aware of the i3 I started considering an EV. And when I started thinking about the elegant simplicity of an electric drivetrain, I started seeing ICEs as almost Victorian technology - a step up from steam engines, but with even more gears, belts, pulleys, rods and other doohickey moving parts. And on top of all of that, they still need a battery and electric motor just to get them started! Once I got that thought stuck in my mind, I couldn't even consider a REX, let alone an ICE. With a daily round trip commute of about 15 miles and the Ridgeline for backup, I think the i3 is going to work out perfectly for me.

My ICE only gets used maybe 5-6x per year...I could probably just end up renting something, but it wouldn't be as nice, and it's paid for, so doesn't cost all that much to keep until there's something that could replace both the i3 and my GT. Probably won't happen for at least a few more years. I really do like the small size and maneuverability.

I will answer first to the second question.
We are a family with 4 people and 3 (4) cars. Two are regular fuel cars so no bottle neck if someone have to drive a longer distance we can arrange between us. The 4th car is a VW camper which has the same license plates with the i3 and in case of longer distance it can be used also. 90% of all working days my wife (she is using mainly the EV) has a distance to work of 60 km. Never a problem with the range of an i3 or any EV. 95% of the nights the car is in our garage so enough time for charging. Even though we bought suspenders in addition to the belt in form of a REX.
Now the first question:
We bought the i3rex in 2014. EV was decided so the i3 was for us the best choice between Tesla (too expensive), Renault Zoe (doubt about quality), Smart (too small), Nissan Meaf (too ugly), that's it. Another important point was the possibility to have a REX. After 35'000 km we used the Rex even not 10%. But the REX is an emotional support to use the EV up to its maximum range without having beads of perspiration on your forehead.
We chose very few options. No quick charge, no DC charge, even no wall box and no special comfort. But we chose retractable roof to save A/C in summer, heated seats to save interior heating in winter, LED headlights more for the look as for saving energy. We never regretted these choices.
We are very happy with this car and there is always a fight in our family who may drive it even though the regular cars are not too bad.

I'm one day on this forum, and one day after test driving a (new) 2014 I3 with extender at the local dealership.

I've followed EVs from day one. I was infatuated with the Bolt until I met it in person a few times. I really never even gave much thought to the I3 until recently - it always seemed to me like an overpriced green cred toy for wealthy Europeans.

But at this year's NYC Auto Show, there was an I3 sitting there with the doors open, so I hopped into it and fell in love - instantly. I've never met a car with so much character. Yesterday, I stopped into my local BMW dealership and test drove a 2014 I3 (I know, it's already obsolete, but they don't stock I3s because they say nobody wants them - their words, not mine).

I had the same experience as I'd had at the auto show. I loved the little thing to death. I'd driven a Volt right before and hated the Volt regen brakes. The I3 brakes were awesome by comparison. I'd sat in the Bolt interior and gagged. The I3 interior was filled with light tones and had amazing forward visibility and a low belt line. I'm an interior freak, and this interior just spoke to me (Giga Cassia Natural Leather & Carum Spice Grey Wool Cloth). The doors shut with a thunk like they were billets of solid steel. It was a very personal reaction. My EV friend driving with me - the I3 left him cold. Also, during my test drive, I noticed all the looks from other drivers. Some smiling, some jeering. Interesting reactions.

Anyway, I almost bought one on the spot - sans range extender. But I stepped back to think a while. I hear rumors of a bigger battery for 2018. And I can pick up a used 2014 with 9,000 miles for $18,000 (before bargaining). That's really tempting, even with the lower range.

Bottom line - I adore this car. If they had a 60Kwh battery in it now, my will would evaporate and I'd write a check now. But I'm more likely to think it over a bit and do more research before leaping.

ScooterCT said:
I really never even gave much thought to the I3 until recently - it always seemed to me like an overpriced green cred toy for wealthy Europeans.
Well, I'm not a European but I do live in Europe half of each year, so maybe I sort of qualify.

I don't consider our 2014 U.S. i3 BEV significantly overpriced for what it is, but I wish it had been made by Honda rather than BMW because it would likely have been more reliable, and parts and repairs would likely have been less expensive. I had hoped that Honda would produce a small lightweight innovative EV to replace our 2000 Honda Insight, a small lightweight innovative gasoline-electric hybrid. But BMW rose to the occasion, and Honda seems to have seriously dropped the ball, so we bought an i3 in 2014 because there really wasn't a light, compact yet spacious hatchback EV alternative (the Leaf is larger than we wanted and has front wheel drive which we didn't want).

The i3 is relatively expensive because relatively inexpensive steel has been replaced by thermoplastic (exterior panels), more expensive aluminum (frame, suspension parts), and much more expensive carbon fiber reinforced plastic (passenger cabin). Unlike steel, none of these will corrode assuming that BMW has been careful to electrically isolate the aluminum from steel so that no galvanic corrosion can occur. Living in a humid, salty climate, we were willing to pay a premium for this as we did for our all-aluminum Insight. Of course, the i3 was designed and built by well-compensated Germans which adds to its price (fortunately, much of the construction was performed by robots).

The only repairs our i3 has had to date were the warranty replacement of the electronic module involved in charging (we knew that this module was defective in all early 2014 i3's when we bought our i3) and a motor mount bolt that was prone to breakage due to a poorly-designed motor mount. But the i3, especially the REx version, seems to be less reliable than most cars which worries me after its warranty expires. We normally keep cars for at least 15 years, but if our i3 becomes expensive to keep due to repairs, it would have proven to be a very expensive purchase because selling it early would be very expensive as well due to its high depreciation rate.

So buying an i3 with plans to keep it for many years is a real gamble.

ScooterCT said:
Anyway, I almost bought one on the spot - sans range extender. But I stepped back to think a while. I hear rumors of a bigger battery for 2018. And I can pick up a used 2014 with 9,000 miles for $18,000 (before bargaining). That's really tempting, even with the lower range.
A couple of years ago, the i3's battery cell manufacturer, Samsung SDI, published a future road map of its Li-ion battery cells. The cell that would be the next upgrade in capacity density wasn't expected before 2019. With its 94 Ah cell just released in the 2017 i3, it seems very unlikely that its 120-125 Ah cell would be available only a year later. I will be very surprised if the 2018 i3 has a battery pack with more capacity that the 2017 model, but anything's possible, I guess. The 2018 model will have a mild mid-cycle refresh in its design and features, but buying or leasing a 2018 model would be much more expensive than buying a used 2014 model if the range of the 2014 model is sufficient for you as it is for us.

ScooterCT said:
. . .

Bottom line - I adore this car. If they had a 60Kwh battery in it now, my will would evaporate and I'd write a check now. But I'm more likely to think it over a bit and do more research before leaping.
We went with a 2014 BMW i3-REx and never looked back. We drove 463 miles delivery home and a round-trip, 700 miles each way, trip to Oklahoma. The REx gives it long legs which potentially eliminates a second car ... potentially.

Now we've found the BMW takes a minimum of two days at the shop which has gotten tiresome. Also, our Prius Prime gives us +600 mile range with dynamic cruise control at +55 MPG. It also is a perfect replacement when the BMW i3-REx is in the shop.

Having two, excellent plug-in hybrids pretty well solves our transportation needs. Both cars have a 2" receiver to carry my wife's wheel chair carrier (manual, not electric.) With dynamic cruise control and accident avoidance, the only way for us to go.

Bob Wilson

https://electrek.co/2017/05/16/review-bmw-i3-winner/

Here's another posting on the I3 that might help you make your decision.

Back