BMW i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David William

The BMW i3 Concept with eDrive is an uncompromisingly sustainable vehicle designed for urban areas. Driven purely by electric power and purpose-built to meet the demands of sustainable and emission-free mobility. It embodies an intelligent form of urban transportation and commuting.
The interior of BMW i3 Concept is characterized by the visible use of natural resources such as European eucalyptus wood.
The BMW i3 Concept therefore offers an optional range extender, the REx, which allows the driving range to be increased. REx, a small, very smooth-running and quiet petrol engine, drives a generator which maintains the battery charge level to ensure that the vehicle can continue to run on electric power.

Does it mean that the BMW i3 is a hybrid vehicle? Going through the BMW i3 reviews and website as well as this forum, I have not heard anywhere where it has been mentioned that the BMW i3 is a hybrid car. Could you please clarify your point or am I just getting confused?

He actually explained pretty good. At the beginning there was all electric BMW i3, but company is now planing to have 2 versions of BMW i3. BMW i3- all electric and BMW i3 Rex- Thas runs on electric for the first 100 miles and then uses gas to produce electricity that move vehicle for 100 more miles- so total of 200.

YashuV is correct. The base i3 is a pure electric car, capable of going approximately 100 miles per charge.

Customers can order a range extender with the car if they like, it's an option. That will then make the car a plug in hybrid. It will still have the same 100 mile all electric range, but when you deplete the battery, a small gasoline engine will turn on and maintain the charge level so you can continue driving about another 100 miles. You could of course then stop, fill up with gas and continue for another 100 miles if you need to. There has been no information on the price of the range extender option that BMW calls the "REx" option.

Thanks a lot guys for the clarification. I think this is the best concept of an electric vehicle. For sure the BMW electric vehicle would be the best among all the electric vehicles that have ever been produced.

I was not aware of that BMW was going to produce two versions of the BMW i3. However, are there any other differences between the BMW i3-all electric vehicle and the BMW i3-Rex version apart from the latter having the gasoline engine?

austin said:
I was not aware of that BMW was going to produce two versions of the BMW i3. However, are there any other differences between the BMW i3-all electric vehicle and the BMW i3-Rex version apart from the latter having the gasoline engine?

The i3 coupe is just a concept at this time, there are no concrete promises it will be made. BMW wanted to gauge public interest before making any decisions. I f it does get the green light, it will probably not be available until at least a year after the 4 door i3 hits the market.

There really is no difference between i3's that are BEV's and those that are PHEV's other than the fact that the PHEV has a range extender. The range extender is a option. The base i3 is just a battery electric vehicle but if you want more range, and the security of knowing it's there if you need it, you can order the car with the range extender but it's still the same car with no visual difference.

I have been following the information about the BMW i3 in the BMW i3 forum and I think you guys are really doing some great work. In that case I would go for the BMW i3 Rex. I think the car having a range extender is a better idea and would definitely attract more customers.

Conrad said:
I have been following the information about the BMW i3 in the BMW i3 forum and I think you guys are really doing some great work. In that case I would go for the BMW i3 Rex. I think the car having a range extender is a better idea and would definitely attract more customers.

Thanks Conrad. The good news about the range extender is that BMW is offering it! Let the customer decide if they want it or not. It always better to have choices. Nobody else is offering an range extender as an option on an electric car. You either get a car with a short electric range and a range extender or a longer range and no range extender. With the i3, you can have both a 100 mile electric range AND a range extender if you choose. That's not available in any other vehicle.

Hi That is great, That is awesome information, i was also looking for this.Yes The range extender is a option. The base i3 is just a battery electric vehicle but if you want more range.
Regards

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to thanks Tom for all his work concerning Mini E, Active E or i3!

Concerning the Rex, I heard that it would ba an option for sure, but that it will not be offered by BMW, but around 5k€...
I am speaking about Europe here, but will it be different in the USA?

Hi Lolotte,

Don't know where you got that info from, but I can assure you that the Rex will be offered by BMW. What do you think: You buy the car, drive somewhere and have the ICE built in by an external company? It will just be an option to pick, like leather seats in a conventional BMW.

Regarding price, everyone is curious, but most heard is around 4000 euros.

robster1979 said:
Regarding price, everyone is curious, but most heard is around 4000 euros.

I know its pure speculation but there has been a rumour circulating for the last few days - started by a very popular German car magazine - that the price for the i3 in Europe will start at 36,000 Euros.
I'm not really sure if to believe this or not (its not the most reliable of magazines) but it would mean that a Rex version of the i3(€36,000 + €4,000) would be the price of an Opel / Vauxhall Ampera - which would make for a very interesting scenario.

The chap from BMW did say we would be pleasantly surprised by the price ..... lets hope so.

I heard base price will be nearer £30k so at this level will get plenty of interest. BMW won't risk overpricing this car at launch they have too much invested.

gaz26 said:
I heard base price will be nearer £30k so at this level will get plenty of interest. BMW won't risk overpricing this car at launch they have too much invested.

If the base price was in fact €36,000 then the Sterling price (without Government grant) would be £30,600 ....
The price quoted in the German Car Magazine wouldn't include any rebates as they don't have them.
So the UK price with rebate for the base car COULD be £25,600 with the Rex version coming in at £28,900.
If this was the case it would be a very appealing proposition ... and would probably mean BMW wouldn't be able to build them fast enough.

I also think they will keep higher spec versions down to a reasonable price. Most UK cars will be bought under leasing option??

Lolotte said:
Hi!

First of all, I'd like to thanks Tom for all his work concerning Mini E, Active E or i3!

Concerning the Rex, I heard that it would ba an option for sure, but that it will not be offered by BMW, but around 5k€...
I am speaking about Europe here, but will it be different in the USA?

Thank you Lolotte. Sorry for the late response but I was away on holiday for the past 8 days. It seems I missed a LOT! Yes, as others posted the range extender(REx) will definitely be offered by BMW as a factory installed option. It will only be able to be ordered at the original time of purchase, you won't be able to get an all electric i3 and then add the range extender later.

TomMoloughney said:
Thank you Lolotte. Sorry for the late response but I was away on holiday for the past 8 days. It seems I missed a LOT! Yes, as others posted the range extender(REx) will definitely be offered by BMW as a factory installed option. It will only be able to be ordered at the original time of purchase, you won't be able to get an all electric i3 and then add the range extender later.

Hi everybody!

I misunderstood the word "offered" thinking it would be free, not "built by" let's say...
I guess I still have to learn a lot in English!

What about when the Rex will be available? I heard it will be possible to order a car with it but it will not be delivered before the beginning of 2014 in Europe... So, they would be launching the i3 all electric first, then the version with the Rex.
I don't know which version I'll peak, having 80 km to drive everyday but giving back my current car in December...
Guess we all have to wait for more information!

I'm being told Rex cars can be ordered from the very beginning ..... that's possibly 29th July - with the first Customer deliveries coming through on the 16th November.

I'm not sure when the cut off point is for orders yet (does anybody?) .... or even the price, but if you need a car for December I would put in a tentative order now just so you have the option - you might be too late for a 2013 delivery already.... check with your local dealers. Good Luck.

I also understand Rex available at outset. If you want a car for Nov/Dec delivery you will need to be quick as not that many customer cars for those months I hear. Production ramps up for Jan/ Feb delivery.

In the UK I heard only c100 customer cars for 2013 delivery?? Say 2 a dealer?

Back