Can you plug the i3 into a charge station at a Nissan garage

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branston567

Hey guys, I'm looking into the feasibility of me buying an i3 and due to the way my house is arranged i wont be able to charge my car at home, I was wondering if the i3 plugs into the charge stations at nissan garages as that is my nearest charging point, also does anyone know of any other methods that may work without being able to charge at home.

Thank you all in advance for any help you are able to offer

You don't say where in the world you are, but assuming that its the UK then there are many fast 7kW public charge points with type-2 sockets available. They tend to be grouped in urban areas and you may need a card or cards to access them. Have a look at Zap Map (www.zap-map.com/‎). Its not entirely accurate but probably the best there is.

As for Nissan garages, you can't use their rapid (50kW DC) chargers because none in the UK yet have the CCS plug - theyr'e all Chademo (for Leafs etc). But they may have 7kW points and they might let you use them.

Other rapid points likewise don't yet cater for i3s.

The Nissan 13A charger in Reading is far too slow to be any use to you.

The Moto services on the M4 at Burghfield have type-2 sockets you can use at 7kW, but that's still quite slow for a full charge. Their rapid chargers there are Chademo but may be upgraded to CCS to suit the i3 sometime (https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/frequently-asked-questions).

There may be other 7kW around not shown on the map. Only local knowledge helps here!

Cooper BMW in Reading have an AC fast charger (7kw, probably), there's also some in the Oracle and I believe FGW are putting some at stations - Reading's probably included.

Back