CEL and AC replacement, activate your Pre-condition option

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old4d

Driving 4 month and near 5000 miles on it, simply love it. however, the check engine light went on Thanks giving day and go back to the dealer, the dealer is doing a couple of recall on it as mentioned by forum here, however, just called me today regarding my CEL error, there is a problem with the High Voltage Air conditioner unit needs to be replaced, and the parts are coming all the way from Germany, so I have to stay with my loaner for quite some time before it can be fixed.

The dealer said that it is the regular AC for the cabin, but being a techie myself, I know it could be the one inside the battery unit which is cooling or warming the battery, as I have always turn on the pre-condition before my daily commute, weather plug in or not, so it could activate the air conditioning unit quite a lot to brought up this problem.

So, My advice, ACTIVATE YOUR PRECONDTION NOW TO LET IT BREAK IN BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

Just a note, the i3 only has one A/C compressor. It uses the same refrigerant circuit for cooling the battery that it does to cool the cabin, with shutoff valves to prevent flow to either branch if needed. Heating with the compressor is still the same circuit, just using some changeover valves if heat is needed instead of cooling.

Ah, the AC problem. We also had the CEL come on, at around 3000 miles. Took it in, and it needed the fuel pressure sensor upgrade that has been the topic of other threads. No big deal, one day repair. But they also told us we needed the AC upgrade. Also only a one day repair. But 2 weeks to get the compressor oil shipped in from Europe. Apparently BMW warehouses a lot of their specialty oils in Slovenia.... and they were not permitted to ship the compressor oil via air freight. The dealer didn't realize this until they had already replaced the AC unit, else we could have waited until AFTER they had the oil in stock. We ended up driving a loaner ICE vehicle for two weeks.

ADVICE TO OTHERS: IF YOUR DEALER TELLS YOU THEY NEED TO TAKE CARE OF THE A/C BULLETIN, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE OIL IN STOCK BEFORE YOU DROP OFF YOUR CAR.

Nobody on the entire East Coast had it. It takes a long time to get something shipped by boat from Slovenia.....

Sledge

Giga, REx, all options but the 20" wheels.

It has been frustrating for me, as just days before Xmas, I have to turn in my I3 again for the CEL error, this time, they found nothing but obviously BMW had another recall on the capacitor, finally the car is back today, and I am now very anxious to see if the CEL goes on again.

Back