charge time are longer then expexted

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lturcotte

Hi

I have a strange behavior with the onboard charger

Charge time seems to take longer then i expected

ex: to charge from 75% to 100 % show 6 hours with L1 cable
and ~2 hours with a 30 Amp L2 adapter ( 2 different model )

I have tried the different charge setting in the car but they do not seem to have any effect

Are these charge time normal ?

any suggestion or other test i can do ?

My i3 is only a few days old, but I've found that the computer's display of when it will be fully recharged verses actual differ by a fair amount. My guess is that that will change as the thing 'learns' what's going on, but can't say that for certain!

I've noticed the same behavior on level 1 charge. The car will be 100% charged faster than the estimate shown the night before. I park indoors in SF so the temps are consistently mid 60s. Maybe that has an influence?

Tonight, I did some measurement with a Kill-a-Watt meter
I plugged the L1 adapter and checked the 3 charging levels

Low setting 5.7 Amps / 682 Watts
Medium 8.6 Amps / 1000 watts
Max 11.7 Amps / 1350 watts

I was hoping for a 15 Amp L1 charger

BMW claims 12A max on the supplied 120vac unit...if you want a 15A unit, you'll be restricted to a 20A branch circuit, and lose some of the flexibility. They are out there, if you wish to buy one. A device like this cannot pull 15A constantly on a 15A circuit, it would have to have a 20A plug and therefore a 20A supply.

The better choice is to install a 30A 240vac unit but that requires at least a 40A branch circuit. If you want to future proof the install, you may want to go to a 60A unit, or even more, as the battery packs or the ability to accept more inlet power is likely to happen in the future (and is here for the Teslas, now).

Back