Charging Options and Cables

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken - Thank you for the info.

British Gas are supposed to be visiting me on 24 Feb so I am trying to gather as much info as possible about their visit.

Can you tell me who fitted your Polar - British Gas? Other? Did they ‘survey’ and fit in the same day? I assume from the mention of £95 that you had the 7kw box installed - did they take the feed direct from your consumer unit? What size RCD did they fit? How long is the cable from your connection to the Polar box. Am I correct in assuming that the Polar EVSE is the same one for a 3.5kw or 7kw install and they just configure it for the required output?

Sorry for all the questions. Hope you can help.

Mike

Really interesting topic which has answered a lot of my questions. However, British Gas came out to install my home station and told me that they would have to charge me over £200 extra to run a cable to the charge point. I told them I would run my own armoured cable. The only problem is I forget to ask them the size of the cable! Does anyone know the cable I need to run from my junction box to the charge point?

Thanks

Mezzadmin - £200! On another thread - http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=612 - Plug said 'I had a BG unit installed at my parents house on Monday. Everything was straightforward, all done in a morning, very neatly done and we were charged £3/m for the extra cable and half an hours labour which I thought was very reasonable.’

So was yours 65 + metres?

As for the cable, don’t quote me but for the 16 amp feed you would need 4mm (up to 30m run) and for the 32 amp feed 6mm (up to 25m run). See http://www.doncastercables.com/technical/cable_calculator/index.html

Why not call the BG installers on 0800 980 8175?

Thanks Mike,

I was just going on the engineer's say so -- the total length of the cable is 20 meters. But I do need to dig a trench and he was quoting for the work as well.

I will buy my own and run it from the box to where I want it.

Thanks again for the advice and link.

Michael

For 20m of armoured cable (At screwfix 4mm = £70, 6mm £90) plus the digging of the trench £200 sound fair….

Back