Check Engine Light

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hamgolfer said:
I do not know. How can I check? I just picked up the vehicle yesterday.

Not sure if there is a way... All I could do is look up what appears to be just a media interface software version but might be worth comparing yours to mine:

14541330987_54373a6c1e.jpg

hamgolfer said:
I do not know. How can I check? I just picked up the vehicle yesterday.
Call your service department. There may be a way (there is a 'magic' sequence on their other cars where you can check s/w version numbers) but I do not know how to access it on the i3.

I grew up in Spencerport, and get back to visit family a couple of times a year...too far for my i3, though!

Mine's in for the update as of this morning. The service writer called to tell me that the car was undergoing the software update, and that they would be keeping it overnight. When he read the key, their service system also required some additional maintenance, including an oil change. At ~900 miles, the engine has only fired up once. I get the feeling the BMW is looking to keep a close eye on these cars until the first early issues subside.

I just got mine back after 3 days at the dealer for the update. Couple of areas to note.

the update does more than just fix the check engine light. The car performance and range estimation is different. We are getting more range from the car and looks like more accurate estimation when you input a destination in the NAv.

The Eco pro + light now works! and the stereo sound much better. Getting better response from the low end.

Anyone else notice any other improvements?

Picked up mine yesterday. I can't attest to any improvements in range, performance, etc., but it's clearly a complete wipe of the computer/electric system. So, it's probably starting with a fresh algorithm.

I had to re-enable BMW Assist/Connected services (thanks to a helpful call to iConcierge), and the flexible memory keys were all cleared. Like I said, it seems to be a pretty deep patch.

My Media and Telephone version numbers are MN (TN) 002.045.001

This appears to be newer but I do not know if this is the relevant software code.

My experience with CEL:
It came on with all electric driving around mile 60.
Dropped it off at the dealer at mile 120 or so.
When the tech started it, the light had cleared!! Hate it when that happens. ;)
He said there were no codes.
Got the car back.
CEL again on at approx mile 300. Took a photo this time!
I have an appointment tomorrow (7.29) to drop it off.

After the s/w update, it seems to me that the regen in comfort mode may not be quite as aggressive. Have only driven it a short distance since the update, so it's a bit hard to say. I will second that the range estimate is higher, but I've not stressed it to find out how accurate it is (yet!).

had the issue this weekend on a long Rex tour 600Km round trip, but it was due to an over heated Rex engine we think. after a few minutes it went away.

btw, you can add "hold constant charge" to your multi function keys. nice trick =)

For those of you wondering if your i3 REX software is version 2.53.3 with the updated IHKA software to correct intermittent check engine lights, the only way to know if you have the latest software is to have your Key read by your local dealer. You're looking for is version I001-14-07-503 on the key read.

Hope that helps. ;)

-Carl

Jetfuel said:
had the issue this weekend on a long Rex tour 600Km round trip, but it was due to an over heated Rex engine we think. after a few minutes it went away.

btw, you can add "hold constant charge" to your multi function keys. nice trick =)

That can't be right - the Rex should not overheat!

Most people probably would never get into the situation where the REx engine compartment overheats, but then most people don't live where it can be significantly over 100-degrees F (38C). Another situation to bolster my understanding that the REx is an emergency backup, not a regular use item...if it is, you probably bought the wrong car.

jadnashuanh said:
Another situation to bolster my understanding that the REx is an emergency backup, not a regular use item...if it is, you probably bought the wrong car.

That is correct sir. The REX engine is designed for a emergency backup, not to be relied on for day to day driving habits.

Hmmm!
Thanks - maybe the i3 is not the car for me, sadly.
I was planning a once every 2 month long drive (800km). If the engine overheats, that won't work.

I believe that the overheating problem was not the original point of this thread. What the initial topic starter was refering to was the intermitant check engine light that would come on. This was a known issue for U.S. i3 REX vehicles, and was caused by a software error in the IHKA (Heating/AC module) which was fixed with the latest version of ISTA/P 2.53.3, it has nothing to do with the REX engine over heating.

I have not heard of any REX engines overheating, other then the one users post, and he "thinks" that's what it was.

-Carl

There is a good deal of territory between "not for day to day use" and "for emergency use only"; for instance, occasional use. I’d be interested in knowing if BWM ever uses the term emergency use in regards to the range extender in their marketing copy, user manuals, or technical documents. On the BMW USA website it is referred to as "The BMW i3 with Range Extender" not as "BMW i3 with Emergency Backup Range Extender".

I agree it’s probably not designed for day to day use, but I’d like to think it’s suitable for occasional use on long trips (if you can deal with the frequent refueling stops) and not just for emergency use for getting to the nearest recharge point.

I just bought an i3 REX with the expectation of being able to make occasional trips up to a couple hundred miles. Maybe I'm kidding myself, or maybe it will be fine if I don't constantly push the limits of the REX output at 75 MPH.

If you're intending on driving until you almost run out of fuel, fill the tank, and then continue to drive another 40 miles without charging the battery, until your tank gets low again, then yes, that may not be the car for you. That's not only hard on the battery, but the engine as well. Will it do it? Probably... Time will tell.

-Carl

Jetfuel said:

Overheated engine would NOT display a CEL, why do you assume that?
Manual states that the engine is automatically shut off if it overheats. Won't display a CEL - engine will just shut off.

I assume this never really happens. Every car manual says the engine *may* overheat and what to do if it does; but when was the last time your late model engine overheated?

Has anyone actually had a REx shut off because it was too hot?

CarlT2000 said:
If you're intending on driving until you almost run out of fuel, fill the tank, and then continue to drive another 40 miles without charging the battery, until your tank gets low again, then yes, that may not be the car for you. That's not only hard on the battery, but the engine as well. Will it do it? Probably... Time will tell.
Is there anything in the manual that suggests that it isn't a good idea to go far on the REX or caution against refueling and continuing on?

If it is a bad idea for the battery to remain at 6.5% or below for hours while you continue on using the REX, then BMW did the US market a real disservice by disallowing us to switch it on early. But if it's a small hit on battery life like a 20 minute DC fast charge, then that's no big deal.

If the REX motor only has something like a 10 hour cumulative run time before needing an overhaul, that would be disappointing and also not reflect well on BMW. If it was good for 100 hours I could live with that for occasional use as it would equal something like a few thousand miles of travel. I doubt I'll put that much on my REX. I'd prefer to hear you could put tens of thousands of miles on the REX before needing an overhaul, but that might be asking too much.

Back