DC fast charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
... but with many of the car manufacturers in the USA now standardized on this, there will be a lot more pressure to put in DC fast charging for them...CHAdeMo will have to fight for itself. In Europe, they officially will stop supporting that in 2018 - any new units after that time would support only their approved standard (same functionality as the SAE, but they chose to use a different plug).

You were doing great up to this point!!! Yes, the German auto manufacturers tried very diligently to outlaw any competition for their standard within the European Union (UN). GM tried the same here in California by lobbying to cut funding for CHAdeMO, obviously unsuccessfully.

The outcome of the EU law is that post 2018, other charging standards (like France's Chameleon, CHAdeMO, and Tesla Supercharger) must include a government required CCS Combo2 station. Which means that all the other standards have until Dec 31, 2018 to install all the stations they want without restriction, and they are doing just that. One HUGE thing that is often overlooked in the entire mess is that not every country in Europe is in the EU. Switzerland, and most notably Norway, are not in the EU. Norway has an aggressive electric vehicle policy that provides a high rate of electric vehicle adoption in that country.

CHAdeMO is at almost 1400 installations in Europe, and 700 in the USA. Yes, both CHAdeMO and Tesla Superchargers will be installed post 2017......lskdf

USA Quick Charge data, sometimes colloquially referred to as "L3"

1. SAE CCS Combo1, or "J1772 DC" - approximately 23 in the USA (and worldwide)
http://standards.sae.org/j1772_201210/
up to 100kW eventually, probably limited to 62.5kW
Uses a different plug in Europe (Menekkes CCS Combo2) than the plug used in USA

EVs compatible include:

*GM Spark EV - less than 1000 cars
*BMW i3 - 3000 cars through Oct 1, 2014
*VW eGolf (coming 2014)

2. CHAdeMO - 3800 worldwide, 700 in the USA, adding about 1 per day
http://www.chademo.com
up to 100kW eventually, currently limited to 62.5kW
Uses the same plug worldwide

EVs compatible with CHAdeMO include:

*Nissan LEAF - over 60,000 in the USA and over 140,000 worldwide
*Nissan e-NV200 (coming 2015)
*Citroen C-Zero - not sold in USA
*Citroën Berlingo - not sold in USA
*Mitsubishi i-MiEV - over 30,000 worldwide with its variants C-Zero & iON
*Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (coming 2015)
*Mitsubishi Fuso Canter truck
*Peugeot iON - not sold in USA
*Peugeot Partner - not sold in USA
*Kia Soul EV (coming Oct 2014)
*ZERO motorcycles
*Tesla except Roadster with Tesla supplied adaptor

3. Supercharger - 200 worldwide, 120 stations in the USA, each with 4-8 stalls, growing fast
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
up to 135kW eventually, currently limited at some sites to 120kW
Uses a different plug in Europe than the one used in North America and Japan

EVs compatible with Supercharger include:

*Tesla only, except Roadster - 55,000 worldwide

WoodlandHills said:
If you have DCFC you have a second charging receptacle for DC, the AC charging system is not affected. My car has two charging receptacles with two caps under the side flap.

It would be amazing if you could add a photo of you're charging points to this discussion

TonyWilliams said:
jadnashuanh said:
.... One HUGE thing that is often overlooked in the entire mess is that not every country in Europe is in the EU. Switzerland, and most notably Norway, are not in the EU. Norway has an aggressive electric vehicle policy that provides a high rate of electric vehicle adoption in that country. ....

Yes, but Switzerland and Norway are members of a looser economic grouping (EEA?) that pretty closely follows EU directives on matters like transport regulation, to get the advantage of easy access to the large EU market.

Any idea what's the most cost efficient to install a Level 2 charging at home? Is going through BMW the only option? Sorry newbie here please help.

ccjw33 said:
Any idea what's the most cost efficient to install a Level 2 charging at home? Is going through BMW the only option? Sorry newbie here please help.

Maybe best to start a new thread for this if one doesn't already exist.

Just call a few local electricians and ask for quotes. With luck you will find one who has done it before, if not any decent company can do the work and get it permitted. You will just have to pay a bit more for them to learn on the job.

I looked on Yelp for local companies with a decent number of ratings and called them for estimates. I also called my local power company since I was eligible for a rebate and lower rates. It is not a difficult process, but a permitted high voltage installation requires attention to detail and knowledge of the relevant regulations. It took us two visits from two different agencies to get everything approved, all in all about 3 weeks, and now we are waiting for the power company to make the connection and install our new meter. Everyone involved was very helpful, but they are all new at this and there is a learning curve...... Still, we are getting a total of $1000 towards the EVSE purchase installation as well as reduced rate so it's worth it.

There is absolutely nothing special about installing an EVSE in the USA. In fact, it's easier than installing a new electric stove or dryer because it does not need the neutral to be run...it only uses the two hot leads and the safety ground. Code calls for the size breaker and wiring based on the load, but for most people using a 30-32A EVSE, that means 8g wire and a 40A breaker when you hardwire the unit. The unit often comes with a pigtail, and all you do is run power to it, and hook up the three wires and you're done. If you choose a unit that has a plug verses hard-wiring it directly, you need at least a 50A circuit and wiring, since there are no 40A plugs in the USA, and the plug must be supported to allow the max the plug can support (the same way a 15A receptacle scattered all around your home must have at least 14g wire and have a 15A breaker, even if you only plug in a phone charger and draw maybe an amp - the plug and wiring must handle anything you COULD plug into it, and with a 50A plug...a 32A EVSE works just fine, but your install costs will be more - both to get the EVSE shipped with the plug verses bare wires, and for the required plug.

Back