Do you carry an emergency jack in the i3? If so, which one.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancisAi3

So I think I've gine through the first rite of passage for owning an i3 ....... getting a flat, that is. A screw did it. The slimy thingy didn't work for me so I'm having the dealer replace the tire.

Now that I've experienced that, slight paranoia set in. I've bought the Safety Seal to plug holes in a pinch, that puck to use on the jack points, thinking of buying that BMW slimy thing again. Also thinking of getting a Griot's Garage air compressor.

What I'm missing is an emergency jack. Anyone carries one in their i3? Which one do you have and did it work well for you when you had to use it?

I drive to cycling charity events quite frequently (actually every weekend for the next 6 weeks) and they're not local, with one about 300 miles away. Don't want to wait for a rescue if I can help it.

Thanks!

BMW used to offer a kit that contained a jack, torque wrench, gloves, etc., all in a fitted case. P/N 71102182448. It's no longer a stocked part, but you might find one somewhere.

I don't know if an E46 (old 3 series) jack will work or not. It's a scissors type jack. You can probably pick one up from one of the used parts advertisers in the back of Roundel magazine.
FWIW, I used Vines automotive a few years ago for a used jack
http://www.vinesauto.com

The socket the BMW jack fits into is, at least in the two cars I have, the same size. So, I would expect any of the BMW jacks would work. If you use a puck adapter, any jack could work, but would not have the stability of 'holding' the end of the jack in place. AT home, I use a floor jack with a puck, but out on soft surfaces, having the end of the jack in that socket would seem to be safer.

Back