EV Charge Equipment Tax Credit Expires On Dec 31st

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraturtle

The 30% USA federal tax credit for "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property", i.e. EVSEs, has been extended to the end of 2013, but is unlikely to be renewed for 2014:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...arging-station-tax-credit-expires-on-dec-31st

I would advise any Yanks planning to get an i3 next year to act quickly to purchase and install a 30 or 32 amp, 240v EVSE (compliant with the J1772 standard) in the next 27 days. I just ordered a 30 amp, 240v Schneider EVlink from Home Depot which is running a $150 promotion off of the regular price of $749. Ignoring sales tax, net cost to me after 30% tax credit is $419.30. Schneider Electric will also be manufacturing the BMW branded unit, but I seriously doubt you will be able to purchase it for even twice this price.

When filing for the tax credit, remember to include the cost of the breaker and electric cable. Also the electrician, should you decide to use one, but the installation is really quite simple.

Back