Good dealership to lease from in San Diego

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wearymicrobe said:
El Cajon kicks butt.

4K down 331$ a month for 24 months.

Rex
white/tan interior
Level 3 charging port
Giga interior
Tech package.
Heated seats.
Keyless entry
MSRP of 52,400$.

Love this thing its from the future no doubt. Sending the car out to have the hood wrapped white tomorrow and going to find a massive USB stick to use for the music today. Have no idea how to use the start stop cruise control and I need to get my carpool stickers.

Sweet.

What was the selling price?

Would it be possible to share the quotes that these dealers are writing up for the people who have gotten these great deals? I don't know what the etiquette or ethics are over that but it seems like pretty much every dealer is willing to match another dealer's offer if they see the quote for confirmation and also to understand how the math breaks down. (i don't have one to share of my own....yet haha)

Spanglo said:
wearymicrobe said:
El Cajon kicks butt.

Rex
white/tan interior
Level 3 charging port
Giga interior
Tech package.
Heated seats.
Keyless entry
MSRP of 52,400$.

Love this thing its from the future no doubt. Sending the car out to have the hood wrapped white tomorrow and going to find a massive USB stick to use for the music today. Have no idea how to use the start stop cruise control and I need to get my carpool stickers.

Sweet.

52400 MSRP including docs and delivery.
8010$ off sticker from the dealership
5500$ BMW Credit
2500$ California Credit

~36.5K. Would have been ~another 3500 off if I had purchased it which in retrospect I wish I had done. I don't think you get the 5500 off on purchase only on the lease.

Residual ~33K.

So all in ~31% off MSRP I think with the kickbacks from the state off MSRP on the lease

wearymicrobe said:
5500$ BMW Credit
2500$ California Credit

~36.5K. Would have been ~another 3500 off if I had purchased it which in retrospect I wish I had done. I don't think you get the 5500 off on purchase only on the lease.

Residual ~33K.

So all in ~31% off MSRP I think with the kickbacks from the state off MSRP on the lease

Congrats on the new car! You made the right decision. Leasing is the way to go with this car. I'm definitely not the first to point out that the i3 will be pretty outdated in the next 2-3 years with the improvements in battery technology. There's already lots of talk of affordable (i.e. non-Tesla) 200mi.-range vehicles scheduled for 2016-2017.

Also, because it could confuse people who would punch these numbers into a lease calculator, I want to point out that it's not exactly 31% off MSRP because of how everything is taxed. We're actually getting taxed on the negotiated price and the $5500 tax credit and $2500 CA rebate are taken off after that. Depending on lease length, it can swing the monthly $20-25 if you don't enter it in the right way.

wearymicrobe said:
Spanglo said:
wearymicrobe said:
El Cajon kicks butt.

Rex
white/tan interior
Level 3 charging port
Giga interior
Tech package.
Heated seats.
Keyless entry
MSRP of 52,400$.

Sweet.

5500$ BMW Credit
2500$ California Credit

Residual ~33K.

You did well, 8K off sounds great. Plus those incentives and credits really knock that price down.

Thanks for the $ales info, that should help my negotiations ;)

Nicholai said:
wearymicrobe said:
Congrats on the new car! You made the right decision. Leasing is the way to go with this car. I'm definitely not the first to point out that the i3 will be pretty outdated in the next 2-3 years with the improvements in battery technology. There's already lots of talk of affordable (i.e. non-Tesla) 200mi.-range vehicles scheduled for 2016-2017.

Also, because it could confuse people who would punch these numbers into a lease calculator, I want to point out that it's not exactly 31% off MSRP because of how everything is taxed. We're actually getting taxed on the negotiated price and the $5500 tax credit and $2500 CA rebate are taken off after that. Depending on lease length, it can swing the monthly $20-25 if you don't enter it in the right way.

The 5500$ was from BMW as a discount not a tax credit which you do not get on the lease so you would not pay tax on that portion. I intend to buy the car at the end of the lease if nothing better has come along. The Rex will meet any and all requirements I have for 99% of my car usage. Plus I got the 440v charger option which in the future means I should be able to charge up on the way to Vegas from San Diego and use a bit of gas here and there.

wearymicrobe said:
Nicholai said:
wearymicrobe said:

The 5500$ was from BMW as a discount not a tax credit which you do not get on the lease so you would not pay tax on that portion. I intend to buy the car at the end of the lease if nothing better has come along. The Rex will meet any and all requirements I have for 99% of my car usage. Plus I got the 440v charger option which in the future means I should be able to charge up on the way to Vegas from San Diego and use a bit of gas here and there.

Hmm. Well, maybe they did it differently for you, but I bet if you look at the section of your lease agreement where it says "Amount due at signing", you'll see your $5500 rebate at the bottom as part of that payment. If you do, that means it's a rebate and was not taken off the price of the car; rather it was added as part of the payment for the car.

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a 24 month lease does not qualify for the CA $2500 rebate. From the "Clean Vehicle Rebate Project" website under "What am I responsible for?": "Retaining ownership of the vehicle in California for a minimum of 30 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date."

I would strongly suggest contacting the Center for Sustainable Energy (they run the rebate project - https://energycenter.org/contact) because it says you have to apply for the rebate within 18 months of purchase or lease date. You might have to talk to BMW Financial Services about doing an early buyout so that you can show the rebate project that you're definitely going to keep the car for longer than 30 months.

Nicholai said:
...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a 24 month lease does not qualify for the CA $2500 rebate. From the "Clean Vehicle Rebate Project" website under "What am I responsible for?": "Retaining ownership of the vehicle in California for a minimum of 30 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date."
Glad you pointed that out instead of me :)
I too was not aware of the 30 month requirement until after I acquired my i3. No big deal...but it would have been nice :|

Cartman said:
Nicholai said:
...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a 24 month lease does not qualify for the CA $2500 rebate. From the "Clean Vehicle Rebate Project" website under "What am I responsible for?": "Retaining ownership of the vehicle in California for a minimum of 30 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date."
I too was not aware of the 30 month requirement until after I acquired my i3. No big deal...but it would have been nice :|

If I buy it at the end of the lease like I expect to then I will get it for sure. So far I adore the car, I am willing to bet there is nothing faster then a i3 Driver with 60 miles of charge and a 30 mile commute in a busy city. With all the power at any speed you can just throw the thing around like crazy. I might bring it to autocross if they will let me run.

wearymicrobe said:
Cartman said:
Nicholai said:

If I buy it at the end of the lease like I expect to then I will get it for sure. So far I adore the car, I am willing to bet there is nothing faster then a i3 Driver with 60 miles of charge and a 30 mile commute in a busy city. With all the power at any speed you can just throw the thing around like crazy. I might bring it to autocross if they will let me run.

Ha awesome. I saw a youtube video where they were throwing that car around hard no problem. It could take it.

wearymicrobe said:

So, not trying to be Negative Nancy, but the program says that you have to apply for the rebate within 18 months of purchase or lease. If you wait until your 24 month lease is up to buy it, you'll be outside of that window. I would strongly suggest trying to contact the rebate project and seeing if there is anything you can do about it.

Got good offers from Murrieta BMW 15-17% off. They were willing to deal on everything but the Acq. Fee. I dealt with the internet sales manager exclusively, and it was relatively painless. Their finance dept made a bunch of accounting errors in their favor, but were apologetic and quick to right the wrong, so make sure you check the numbers.

Encinitas BMW gave 10% initially, but with a LOT of effort they also came down to the 15-17% range. Again, I got the best results dealing directly with the sales manager, and all of it via email.

Hope this helps.

Back