Has the buying stopped

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetsurgn

Since BMW announced a “much more usable range” for the 2017 model year does this mean we will see incredible deals or will the volume head straight down? Anyways look forward to everyone’s thoughts.

jetsurgn said:
Since BMW announced a “much more usable range” for the 2017 model year does this mean we will see incredible deals or will the volume head straight down? Anyways look forward to everyone’s thoughts.

I don't think the majority of buyers are aware, and the dealers aren't going to tell them. My guess is sales will be OK for a couple months, but in May and June and July they will tank with the 2017 coming out in September. It should be a great time to get deal on an i3 then.

With the Bolt less than a year away, I don't know why anyone would get an 80 mile class car except at the kind of giveaway prices Fiat is offering.

michaelbmw said:
With the Bolt less than a year away, I don't know why anyone would get an 80 mile class car except at the kind of giveaway prices Fiat is offering.
Because some of us don't need more range than offered by an i3 BEV and don't want to drive a car that's ~1,000 lb. heavier (the Bolt) and almost certainly less efficient.

GM are not renown for getting new cars right in the first model year, quite the reverse.
So the wise will not consider a Bolt until at least the 2nd year.
So a 2017 I3 with more range will look very tempting when our lease ends in 2017.

redbarn said:
GM are not renown for getting new cars right in the first model year, quite the reverse.
So the wise will not consider a Bolt until at least the 2nd year.
So a 2017 I3 with more range will look very tempting when our lease ends in 2017.
That's kind of funny, I'm feeling the same way about the BMW after considering the problem I've had with my i3.

Sparky said:
That's kind of funny, I'm feeling the same way about the BMW after considering the problem I've had with my i3.

+1 Wish someone had told me about BMW's QC. My i3 has been back to the dealer four times already and waiting for parts for the fifth fix.

I wish someone had told me how terrible my dealer was going to be too.......... Perhaps there really is a need to publish the unvarnished truth and to tell others that not everything is perfect in i3land......

What are some of the issues. Blue20/Woodlandhills

Maybe the 2017 model year will fix some of the issues?

Anyone's dealer experience is very much a function of the actual specific dealership they patronize. I've been lucky...the dealership near me regularly is in the top 20 nationally for customer satisfaction. The dealerships are private businesses, and while corporate BMW has some say, what happens locally is very much a management decision of the local owner. If you're lucky, you have a choice, but that may not be feasible in many markets where the next one is quite far away. IT does pay to shop around a little, though.

alohart said:
michaelbmw said:
Because some of us don't need more range than offered by an i3 BEV and don't want to drive a car that's ~1,000 lb. heavier (the Bolt) and almost certainly less efficient.

+1

And is the Bolt a brand new from scratch design, materials and production method like the i3 was? Kinda doubt it.

We have had no major issues with our i3.

I'm thinking of buying.

I was just offered a 3 year lease on a 2015 Rex, Tech package, Parking Package, Tera for $3k down, $290/month. Seems like a deal on a $53k sticker car. I want to push on the $3k to see if there is any more wiggle room. I'm hoping to take off some of the $700 paperwork fee if nothing else.

I have a Leaf leased now, on a month to month extension through December but this is less than the monthly payment on it. Still, I can wait if a bigger drop is expected.

I'm actually looking in Socal right now through a broker for an i3 and am finding interesting results. Since the green HOV stickers are now gone - there are 2015 REX models for sale everywhere. Nobody can get rid of them. But nobody wants a REX in California without a green HOV sticker. So the pure BEVs are much harder to find.

I just leased a 2015 BEV i3 for $5000 down (trade-in) and $165.50 a month.... How do you say no to that? I've had it a week, and so far so good. Still nervous about winter driving (all-season tires), and preconditioning on a the Level 1 charger. Staying on the blogs for guidance...

I decided to postpone the purchase. Several factors came into play: Couldn't get a deal anywhere close to the one jacqueusi got on 2014, a parking spot with a power outlet at work didn't materialize I also wanted to see how the market will change this year with many new cars in the pipeline and 2014 i3s coming off lease.

Fredr500 said:
I'm thinking of buying.

I was just offered a 3 year lease on a 2015 Rex, Tech package, Parking Package, Tera for $3k down, $290/month. Seems like a deal on a $53k sticker car. I want to push on the $3k to see if there is any more wiggle room. I'm hoping to take off some of the $700 paperwork fee if nothing else.

I have a Leaf leased now, on a month to month extension through December but this is less than the monthly payment on it. Still, I can wait if a bigger drop is expected.

Got them to come down $1500 on the drive-away cash so I pick it up tonight. Had to fight with them to get the November update done before I pick it up. The KLE had already been done.

Back