Hill Hold

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadnashuanh

Most people have probably figured out that the i3 won't roll opposite of the transmission setting, but I noticed something today that I probably should have seen previously...

I was stopped on a moderately steep uphill and happened to glance at the charge graph...it was two bars into discharging. IOW, it was using a fair amount of power to hold the car in position. I stepped on the brake, and the indicator went immediately to the center, neutral point.

So, either use the service brakes or parking brake to hold the car, and only rely on the hill hold function to keep you from moving while moving from brake to accelerator pedals if you want to maximize your miles, especially if you're around steeper hills.

If its more than for a few seconds I always use the handbrake. The auto release of the brake makes it very easy to do.

MikeS said:
If its more than for a few seconds I always use the handbrake. The auto release of the brake makes it very easy to do.
I generally do this as well, but would much prefer that they implemented an auto hold function like I have on my GT...there, as soon as you come to a full stop, it applies the brakes and it won't creep forward or backward, and autoreleases when you get on the go pedal. You only have to turn it on once, and it stays in effect until you either turn it off or shut down the car. It would require a second switch, as it's separate from the parking brake button.

Back