i Remote app not updating

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmann

My i Remote app will not update past November 30. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I've considered deleting the app from my phone and downloading it again, but am concerned I'll loose my previous data. Any suggestions?

It's not working for all of North America... this is from the i3 FB page:
BMW switched to an improved security system called SSL pinning last week. The app is now only able to communicate with the server if it can present a matching security certificate. The certificate embedded in the app matches the European BMW server (b2vapi.bmwgroup.com) but the app does not include a certificate for the US server (b2vapi.bmwgroup.us). Without the certificate the app is unable to communicate with the US server and the app will show cached data from the last time it received data from the server before the security upgrade.

I'm afraid we have to wait for an app update that does include the right certificate.

For what it's worth: I'm pretty sure Chinese i3 drivers have the same issue as US drivers as the app also does not include a certificate for the Chinese BMW server.

Given that it last updated in May, I"m not holding my breath that it'll get fixed any time soon.

Or maybe it'll force an update!

Yes, thank you as well. Since posting this, I see there have been other postings on this topic under the Problems/Troubleshooting section of the forum.

The "cert" issue may be between our cars and the server because "connecteddrive.bmwusa.com" also shows the problem. We're not using iRemote when accessing the server via the web.

Bob Wilson

I'm just curious... Connected Drive is an advertised feature of the car. Isn't BMW under obligation to fix it in a reasonable time, or the Lemon Law would apply?

I am in the UK and have heard that very soon the iRemote app will cease completely and we will all have to use the ConnectedDrive version. Its a shame as the iRemote interface is much nicer.

Me too......... The last update was 11/30, just the same. I talked to the service rep at BMW. And as he suggested, I re-install the I Remote App to no avail. This is BMW's problem.

An BMWi customer service rep emailed me yesterday about this issue. It is one they know about and are in the process of correcting this week. He said the BMW connect app would be updated whenever the fix was in place. The problem is on their end, nothing is wrong with our cars.

Unfortunately, neither i Remote nor BMW Connected North America are updating here in Honolulu. No new app versions are available. I logged out, quit the apps, relaunched them, and logged in, but still no updating.

alohart said:
Unfortunately, neither i Remote nor BMW Connected North America are updating here in Honolulu. No new app versions are available. I logged out, quit the apps, relaunched them, and logged in, but still no updating.

I am on an iPhone and I see no updates for either app.

I wonder if the ones who see new data are on an Android platform by any chance?

I'll post this on both threads covering same issue: I am on an iPhone and using both i Remote and BMW Connected Remote the i3 is not updating data (still stuck on 10/31) but the i8 just updated status to today. So it seems something must be changing with the cars and not the app itself.

iOS, iRemote, and i3 here.

No update on the app, no need to re-login and app began updating again.

Working - iRemote Version 2.0.0 USA, IOS 10.1.1
Working - BMW Connected, IOS 10.1.1
Working - http://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com, Safari browser, MacOS

Bob Wilson

Back