i3 rex not charging, although plugged in. 1st i3 in country.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oostlanderhg

Dear fellow i3 owners,

I've just bought a 2014 i3rex and trying to charge it. I live in Saint Martin with American outlets of 110v.
When i connect the cable the 'charging' and 'power' lights switch on, but the lights on the car don't turn to blue, let alone green.
The leds remain white.
On the car display it shows that it has a cable connected, but the blue bar of miles does not show the moving indicator at all.
The car is locked and we've tried several power outlets now.

I'm very anxious to drive it, but the range anxiety is starting to take over.

Since it is the 1st (yeeeh) electric car on the island I can not ask anyone here, could you please help me?

Make sure that the button release on the plug handle is fully out and not somehow partially pushed in. There is a switch in the handle that must be closed to enable the EVSE to charge the car. Other than that, make sure that the plug is pushed all the way into the socket. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

On the charger does the ground fault light turn on? I had a similar situation. Turned out the plugs I were using did not have a proper ground wire

Hi,

congrats with your i3 ! About charging: have you checked the 'Charging' settings in your car? It could be that it is not set to 'Charge Immediately'.

Regards, Steven

I have double checked if the plug is inserted correctly, it is set on charge immediately, i have tried several oulets, i have tried different settings : max charge, low and reduced, but still nothing happens, the led light stays white. Even though the lights on the cable are orange and green (power and charging) the car is not charging. Could Herz have anything to do with it? It is not realy stable on Sint Maarten.
Range anxiety starts kicking in!
Anyone some other thougts?

From your other thread:

Sorry to hear.

Where did you buy it from, and did they charge it before shipping it over? (to show that the charging system was actually working?)

When you power off the car with the start button, does the display show that charging is immediate? Maybe it has been set to charge at a later time? To change these settings, go to "Settings", then "Charging", then set "Charge Immediately" See Page 162 of the paper manual under section "Mobility/Charging"

Can you measure the voltage at your power point, maybe it is below usable charger voltage?

Have you tried leaving it connected overnight?

oostlanderhg said:
Could Herz have anything to do with it? It is not realy stable on Sint Maarten.

Best way to find out is to check the voltage and hertz. Maybe buy or borrow a multimeter to test, and find a clever electrician to help analyse the problem. You might need a power conditioner to stabilise the voltage and frequency.

Back