Impressions one year on

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're all going to have our own particular likes and dislikes, there isn't a car out there that is ideal for everybody. I listed my (long) one year review a little while back. There are things that I'd like to see improved, and things I really love about the i3:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2015/06/bmw-i3-rex-one-year-review.html

It's not unreasonable for people to challenge whether I had a test drive. I did have a couple of hours test driving but they only had a fairly highly specified model with leather seats etc. and the stint on the motorway was not ideal as there was a slow moving traffic jam on the M3 (not unusual!). I couldn't go above 60mph on my test drive and it was also a nice calm day, so I hadn't experienced the i3 at speed in high winds. It felt quite nice on the test drive to be honest. Also a bit of additional context is worthwhile. At the time of ordering the only other car we had was a 7 year old BMW 330d M-Sport with run flat tyres, which itself had an incredibly hard and crashy ride. In comparison the i3 didn't feel that bad, in fact it felt firm but compliant relative to the 330d. My decision to get the i3 as a company car was very financially driven. I was opted out of the company car scheme for years and would have remained opted out it wasn't for the incredibly attractive financial deal available on the i3. Therefore, I admit, I was slightly blindsided by the financial side of the equation and the fact that it felt fine on the test drive. However, since buying the i3 we have also bought the new Volvo XC60. It's as if we have discovered for the first time, after years of the 330d and i3, just how comfortable a car can be. An XC60 and i3 are chalk and cheese, each exposes the strengths and weaknesses of the other (the Volvo having a terrible turning circle, being very heavy and not particularly economical). For me after the driving the Volvo the i3 is just "fine". In the same way as a Ford Fiesta would also be "fine". I suspect I would have less dashboard rattles in a Ford Fiesta though!

Electron15 said:
I would think going down a decent size hill the i3 can get some serious regen, for sure there will be some extra usage going up, but since you are already in motion and using power, isn't it offset by the regen going down?
Whenever electrical current flows into or out of a battery pack, energy conversion losses (heat) occur. Also, rolling and air resistance consume power both when ascending and descending. So regen while descending cannot recover 100% of the power used to ascend. The best one could do would be to coast downhill since this would avoid the energy conversion losses during regen. But on some descents, coasting would result in excessive speed, so using regen to decelerate is considerably more efficient than using friction brakes which convert stored energy to heat, a total waste.

No rattles of squeaks at all in my i3, not even after 30.000km and 21 months.
I love to take the i3 for the daily commute where the adaptive CC works wonders. I have not driven any car where the adaptive CC works so well in a trafic jam, not even in my 528. And I enjoy the spacious and futuristic interior (Lodge with wooden panels) and the quiet space to listen to music.

For short trips my wife and I fight about who gets to use the i3. For long trips, well, we drive in the 528 together :)

On my daily commute I do about 135km range in summer and 115km in winter. This is largely highway where I don't do over 120km/h when possible and at least half of it are limited by congestion. My max range ever has been 175km doing max 90km/h on ultra flat roads, they don't get any flatter than the place that I live in :D

Well it's going in for a maintenance check next week as I have the dreaded "check drivetrain" message now. I am going to insist that they fix every squeek and rattle at the same time. I believe they will need to dismantle my entire dashboard and rebuild it. It makes a constant chirruping noise like a budgie on the right hand side and a loud persistent rattle on the left hand side. I drove a colleague to another office in it yesterday and he commented that its a shame the quiet electric car ambience is utterly ruined by the rattling and squeeking dashboard. I also noticed my rear drivers side window also has a slight leak where the rubber seal seems slightly shorter than on the passenger side, leaving a slight gap. Hopefully they will sort it all out. Seems like I am alone with these quality issues though!

Back