Just back from the test drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidfromdigswell

I have just driven my first 10 miles in an i3 and it was absolutely brilliant. Even though I was expecting the silence and instant acceleration, the actual experience was even more impressive that I had imagined. I only had to touch the brake pedal on one occasion as the vehicle would come to a complete stop using the regenerative breaking. The ride is really comfortable and I am now counting down the days to picking up my car at the end of January, and interestingly the person who drove the car after me placed an immediate order. I was told that very few people in the UK have so far chosen Solar Orange and I am the only one to have done so from my dealership.

All that remains now is to decide on whether any of the electric packages are worth taking. I don't think BMW access represents good value. For £40pm you get 700 points and access to a charging network. An additional 500 points costs £240 and would get you 5 days rental of a 1 series. Just checked on thrifty.co.uk and you can rent a 1 series for a week for £163. This means that the charging access card (which doesn't include the cost of the actual charge) works out at over £300pa. The maintenance option which includes 4 tyres and regal servicing also provides you with access to an emergency BMW provided mobile charging service.

What I think I will do given my January delivery date is to purchase a set of winter tyres either through the dealership (in which case I will take delivery of the car on steel rims) or I will buy them myself if cheaper and fit them myself. Having made the decision to buy winter tyres I think I have also decided that I will now lease for 4 rather than 3 years.

Thanks DD & congratulations for the first "real world civilian" test report!

When you say the ride was comfortable - did you cover any rough urban stuff, gratings, potholes etc?

Since I'm going to be mainly using mine around town and I'm downsizing from a Lexus - I'm a bit worried about ride comfort.

I drove along mainly dual carriageways and a short stretch of the A1M so not sure I encountered any particularly rough stuff, but the general ride quality struck me as comfortable rather than firm.

David, we have ordered orange too, but have yet to see one. Two of the north-west dealers have the same colour combos, the silver and the grey. Have you seen an orange one yet? What colour combos did your dealer have?

Haven't seen the production Solar Orange, but the pre-production one at the intro in September in Holland convinced us to order that instead of grey, blue or white. What cinched it was that the orange was the only color without the exterior blue accents!

Hello guys,

I had my test drive today.
What can I say - I was simpley blown away by the sheer delight of driving this magnificient car called i3. It is hard to discribe the happiness in words after the drive and one needs to experience it to feel the elation for themselves !

It is the best car I have ever driven. The space inside the car feels enormous and very comfortable and kind of felt like being in a cockpit of an airoplane. The large slanting windshield extends all the way up to provide a very clear view all around. The large navigation computer screen is sumptuous and beautiful. This car needs a sun roof and the views will be really panoramic with it.

I just went to see the car today and luck would have it I was able to test drive today as well. I had the car for 2 hours and I drove it in the city for half hour and in the Motor way for one hour.

In the city I simply used the electric drive and in the motor way I used the Rex. The regeneration is too good and it keeps adding to the charge. I started with 37 miles in electric drive and when I finished after two hours the charge has gone up to 41 miles due to regeneration.

In the motor way the car come alive indeed. The sheer speed of acceleration when you put the pedal down is amazing and catches you with surprise. The effortless pick up and response was exhilerating indeed.

The Rex was so quiet I could not hear anything at all. I was able to hear the helicopter flying very high above but not the sound of rex running. So I am not sure where the complaint comes from regarding the Rex being too loud ! The Rex was able achieve excellent speed just like driving by the battery charge. So it is not there for emergency only and it can be used for long distance travel if needed.

The car looked so good that people were starring at it all the time. Several of them took photos of the car when I was stopped in traffic. Mercedes and Porshe drivers were bemused as it stole the limelight.

BMW has done a great job indeed with the i3 and it deserves to be a mega hit.
Now we can say with confidence that Electric cars have arrived and it is here to stay.

Atommad said:
David, we have ordered orange too, but have yet to see one. Two of the north-west dealers have the same colour combos, the silver and the grey. Have you seen an orange one yet? What colour combos did your dealer have?

First post here, hi folks!

I test drove a REX i3 yesterday at Partridge in Eastleigh and theirs is Solar Orange. It was very useful to see it in the flesh, as the colour looks very different in different magazine articles. I wanted to know how much was due to the photo colour management in the press workflow and how much of it was that our perception of colours are affected by ambient light. I found that in bright sunlight it is a nice vivid tone but in overcast conditions it looks much more muted and washed out. I was considering this colour option as I too do not like the blue highlights on the other paint schemes but on balance I think I will go for the basic grey option.

Is there anyway to attach photos to posts here?

Bill

Hi,

I also test drove the solar orange one at Partridge Eastleigh and have to say I was very impressed with the car, loved the way it drove and put a deposit down after hashing out a few things with them and my accountant.

I quite like the orange, especially with the lodge interior but have had cars with light interiors before and they can look a little tatty after a while (especially as I plan to keep the car for 3 years). I have never really liked leather and find it a bit 'old world' considering the USP of this car. In the end that only left one option to me, the 'basic' interior, which I found suited me best.

I also went for the metalic silver with blue accents as I really quite liked it in the showroom. Did toy with the idea of a white one but without seeing one in the flesh I just couldn't order one with the possibilty of not liking it when it turned up.

Going from a 2 seater, soft top, low slung, 3.0l straight 6 Z4 to an 4 seater, 4 door (kinda), upright, electric car I'm sure my mates will think I'm mad!!

I'm sure I will miss the sound and buzz from burning dinosaurs but can always buy a fun car for weekends to keep in the garage at a later date if I need to, best mates have a C63 and an IS-f for going to motorsports event in (I'm sure they wont abide turning up in the i3!) and the other half has a conventional oil burner for the longer family visits.

My spec is as follows:-
-Rex
-Ionic Silver with Blue Highlights
-Aragats Grey Interior
-Park Assist Package (Reversing Cam/PDC front and rear)
-Winter Package (Seat Heating/HV Battery Prep)
-19" BMW i 428 Alloys
-Electric Glass Sunroof
-Professional Nav (free if ordered before feb)
-Real Time Traffic Info
-Internet (who wouldn't get this at £95!)
-Enhanced Bluetooth
-Paint Protect
-Service pack

I would be interested to know if people think all those are worth it or alternatively I have missed anything off that other people think is essential?

D

Congrats Sprinty on your order!

The only option on your list I would rcommend you drop is Internet. Have it on my 1 series (F20, end 2011) and it is extremely, painfully and excruciatingly SLOW! After a month I never used it again because It took an age to download my mails. Weather and radar maps are nice to see but not really informative after you've driven another 10km.

My dealer actively recommended NOT to order it on the i3, his reason: it's too cheap to be fast and BMW is not planning to upgrade the speed. Everything you might want to do with it, can be done on your smart phone while en route. In fact the BMW internet radio app uses your smart phone data connection and not the BMW one as I discovered once making a trip through Germany. Fortunately it was a pre-paid deal so I didn't go bankrupt! :)

PS: I would also recommend ordering the improved sound pack as the car is so quiet. You'll really hear the difference in the i3!

Hi Sprinty

I wonder if we crossed paths at Partridge? I was hanging about from 9:30 until gone 12 trying (and failing) to get decent pics and video of the demo car - too many people around it and out on demos like nobodies business.

I like leather interiors I think they wear better so splashed out on the Suite interior. I was toying with the Solar Orange but as I said above after seeing it in the flesh decided it wasn't for me so went with the darkest colour to match the bonnet-roof-tail colour as far as possible. I added the parking assist both for others who might drive the car (I hardly ever have to reverse into a bay) and for the added sensor at the front - it is very difficult to tell where the bonnet ends. Also it may help with reversing when I meet stuff on single track roads. The other options in my spec were pretty much dictated by wanting to maximise range.

As others have said I think the rapid DC charging prep is the only thing I would think of adding to yours; I wasn't sure what the internet option was going to do for me that a smartphone can't so left that off. The only thing I think I would drop from your spec is the sunroof but it's a personal thing. I've had cars with them in the past and I never used them.

I ordered too, here is my spec.

All electric
-Arravani Grey with BMW i Blue highlight
-Interior world, Suite
-Park assist package
-Winter package
-19" BMW i Turbine-spoke style 428 alloy wheels
-Cold weather cabin preparation
-DC Rapid Charge preparation
-Adaptive LED headlights
+ thrown in for ordering before Feb
-Navigation system Professional
-Real Time Traffic Information

I am a lucky boy!

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

Nice to speak to a fellow owner!

We turned up about 12:50 so maybe I was walking in as you were walking out.

I was actually suprised at the lack of people looking at the i3 in the afternoon, 2 or 3 came and went while I was sorting out my deal but that was it. In fact my dad came along with us and didn't have a test drive booked but as no-one was there they said he could have a drive after me. Incidentally he liked it but you would NEVER get him out of his V8!

I was able to take photos freely and even stopped for a little photoshoot during the test drive. It's not the best looking car and I don't think anyone is saying it is, the press shots are lovely however seeing some more honest photos crop up I think it can look a little ungainly at times, in the flesh it was 'ok' and I take the view that it is different enough from other cars to deserve a little grace when it comes to styling. My hope is by 3 years I can chop it in for a little coupe with the same chassis (quite likely I think depending on the succes of the i3)

I did wonder about the DC charge prep but at the time thought 'I will never use it' that could be a little shortsighted I guess, again it it is a success then DC charges will spring up like anything, although certainly not on my commute, very much in the sticks.

As far as the sunroof goes 2 things went through my head, 1 is the fact I heard the AC takes a LOT of the battery power to run so cutting that down as much as possible will help, and 2 I like the openess of the cabin and thought it gives it an extra point for the light to come in.

Congratulations on your purchace

Dan

Just a quick update,

Updated my order with extras :shock:

- paint protect £500
- LED Headlights £710
- DC Rapid charge prep £560
- Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi £640
- 3 Year Service inclusive Pack £375

Bloody BMW, just couldn't handle the thought of buying a car that wasn't 'quite' what I wanted.

Also the delivery has been possibly been put back to June! Has anyone else had this news?

Had a test drive on Nov 16th, and was delighted. Really smooth and quiet, with great performance, a seamless flow of torque and good handling. I know there has been debate about the regen braking, which means it starts to decelerate quite quickly as soon as you lift off the throttle; but for me it was perfectly judged, meaning that you can drive it a lot of the time without touching the breaks. Approaching roundabouts, for example, just requires lifting off. The only dissapointments for me were: (a) no REx to drive (I have ordered the REx version); (b) delivery date now apparently March (week 10) for me, despite being person number 16 in the UK to order, or so my dealer tells me. When I ordered so early, I was originally hoping for delivery in Nov / Dec (given the Nov 16th 'official launch date'), then my dealer told me it would be 'very likely be January', so to now have March confirmed is a real dissapointment. On the basis of the test drive, though, I think it'll be great - can't wait!

I would order orange if it weren't for the requirement to buy a hugely expensive interior upgrade - shame there's no std interior with silver instead of blue stripe on seats.

Just took the demonstrator out for a spin in Guildford. A mix of suburban, rural and fast dual carriageway. Both the missus and I had a go, and felt that it was a really easy car to drive once you get used to the rather marked 'engine braking.' Or should that be KERS? In fact I pulled out to overtake on the A3, and the car behind me pulled out rather closer than she should have. I was close to the speed limit and backed off. Being used to a modern ICE car's rather modest degree of engine braking I was caught out, as was the driver behind me. There was a display of unorthodox and clearly irritated hand signalling.

Pulled into the RHS Garden Wisley car park where there is a couple of charging points. Neither was occupied, but the salesman's RFID card wasn't accepted, so we couldn't try that. On the way back we swapped drivers. She found it very easy, and got used to the regenerative braking quicker than I did. The ride is fairly smooth, not quite up to our M-Benz E series estate, but then little else is that good. It feels quite chuckable, and I was impressed with the feeling of planted stability despite the apparently skinny tyres.

We specced up a standard electric car with the non-metallic brown paint, standard interior (the one we tried had the Lodge interior; that is going to look so tired in a year or two). Standard satnav, hot botty seats and battery cold weather flaps, heat pump, and rapid charge preparation. We have gone away to think about it and will be back in touch in a couple of days.

I too took a test drive from the Guildford dealership taking the car to Farnham and back across the hogs back. The good news for me was the that ride quality was more than acceptable. My 18year old was in the back and discovered what I had in the showroom, namely that you cannot pop your feet under the front seats if they are at the lowest setting. For me, the lowest setting was the most comfortable unfortunately. Also - he thought there were no speakers in the back?

I got a little irritated by some pushy salesmanship on my return. Why was I not placing an order right away? Well - er - £32k is not an amount I spend without some serious thought!

So I tried the Eastleigh dealership on Sunday and found them far more laid back. They also have a working wall charger. Another test drive on different roads was good to do. I also took two 'Ryanair' compatible cabin bags and was delighted to find that they fit easily in the boot 'longitudinally' without having to turn them to be 'transverse'. I reckon a third bag would have filled the boot though.

I confirmed (for my own satisfaction) that the car DOES have hill start assist. And also I tried simulating an uphill stop/start traffic scenario and found that very easy to control. I had been concerned that the car would roll back each time it stopped as it has no 'creep', but as I suspected, very slight pressure on the accelerator kept the car stationary and slight further pressure allowed a very precise creep forward. This would actually be a very relaxing situation and far removed from the clutch/gear/handbrake repetitions in my current manual.

A small point I noticed. When you close either front door, the side of the car 'vibrates' a bit as the car shuts against the back door. This is because there is no B pillar I suppose. Not a biggy, but there isn't the solid 'thud' of the 3 series.

All in all, I loved the car. I'd have one tomorrow, but after metallic paint and the fab wheels plus pro satnav at is £500 a month to lease which is a tad expensive. Also - I can't have one tomorrow. It seems to be late May for deliveries according to others on this forum.

I wonder when/if the dealers will be offering their demonstrators for sale given the special arrangement whereby I believe they don't own their cars?

Sprinty: I wanted to add the LED headlights to my order in Nov and was told it would be pushed from Jan to April, possibly further. I stuck with my original order in the end as I was told I would lose the free navigation professional upgrade.

My spec is as follows:
- Non-REX
- Ionic Silver
- Loft
- 428 Alloys (has anyone not ordered these?!)
- DC rapid charge
- Heat pump
- Winter pack
- Comfort access

Ordered it from Coopers in Reading (who'd I'd recommend if you haven't ordered one yet honks123) after the launch event, the first order no less :)

Had a test drive in a REX model (fully spec'd of course) in November. Was very smooth and impressive as you've all mentioned - the guy taking me on the test drive was really keen for me to experience it's performance first hand. Nice to think that the car I'm getting is 0.7 seconds faster! :D

Hi Guys,

I had the opportunity to 'test-drive' an i3 of a friend yesterday. I noticed some pro's and con's already mentioned here (on which I will not elaborate), but I also observed a few things I did not come across on the forums so far.

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised about the feel of substance of the car. Quite good in & out. I was also pleasantly surprised by the ride. A tad on the stiff side, as mentioned by others, but just to our taste. And, as of course already widly discussed, the power is smoothly delivered and very 'creamy'. Especialy accelerating away from speed bumps or roundabouts is a joy. Selfcontrol will be nescesarry to keep the range up I fear ;)
Then, to round of the pro's, the light 'Loft' interior (that we did not order btw., a decision we are doubting as I write...) is very, very nice. Much nicer than the pre-prod cars we saw. How it will wear is hard to predict though. The near-white floormats are, obviously, only useful for the first photo-op.

Then some con's. The steering, for instance, is very light and direct around dead center. Excellent in itself, it will take some practice to keep a straight line on the motorway. Then the horn. We'll have it replaced with a unit from the 3 series, 'nough said. And the high-beam headlamps seem rather weak. Perhaps caused by the very bright LED low-beams, the high-beams simply don't add much I guess. Then, to round it off, an odd choise of plastic material make the covers of the interior lights looking realy cheap. Oh well...

There are, of course, an infinite number of other pro's and con's to discuss, but to summarize: *we* liked it very much. Three largish people in it and all. A proper baby-beemer.

Regards from NL, Steven

Stevei3 said:
Hi Guys,

I had the opportunity to 'test-drive' an i3 of a friend yesterday. I noticed some pro's and con's already mentioned here (on which I will not elaborate), but I also observed a few things I did not come across on the forums so far.

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised about the feel of substance of the car. Quite good in & out. I was also pleasantly surprised by the ride. A tad on the stiff side, as mentioned by others, but just to our taste. And, as of course already widly discussed, the power is smoothly delivered and very 'creamy'. Especialy accelerating away from speed bumps or roundabouts is a joy. Selfcontrol will be nescesarry to keep the range up I fear ;)
Then, to round of the pro's, the light 'Loft' interior (that we did not order btw., a decision we are doubting as I write...) is very, very nice. Much nicer than the pre-prod cars we saw. How it will wear is hard to predict though. The near-white floormats are, obviously, only useful for the first photo-op.

Then some con's. The steering, for instance, is very light and direct around dead center. Excellent in itself, it will take some practice to keep a straight line on the motorway. Then the horn. We'll have it replaced with a unit from the 3 series, 'nough said. And the high-beam headlamps seem rather weak. Perhaps caused by the very bright LED low-beams, the high-beams simply don't add much I guess. Then, to round it off, an odd choise of plastic material make the covers of the interior lights looking realy cheap. Oh well...

There are, of course, an infinite number of other pro's and con's to discuss, but to summarize: *we* liked it very much. Three largish people in it and all. A proper baby-beemer.

Regards from NL, Steven

Cool. Good and helpful insights. Thanks for sharing.

Back