Just bought a CPO 2014 i3 BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

It's funny whatliae throws your way. I was recently laid off, but being in Network Security, a new job was quickly on the horizon. My previous company offered a ridiculously generous severance, so I figured I'd shop for a pre-owned EV for the daily commute in Orange County, CA. My current car is a 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost, and while it's a fun car, even the EcoBoost's fuel economy suffers in the stop-and-go on the 5 Freeway.

So I shopped around, and settled on three candidates: the VW eGolf, the Fiat 500e, and the BMW i3. I first tried the eGolf. It was adequate and well put together in the traditional Teutonic way (Since the eGolf is actually made in Germany versus the mainline Golf and GTI for the US made in Mexico). The steering was lighter than I typically prefer, and for some reason, the eGolf does not have cruise control as an option on any level. Next was the 500e. It's sprightly and reasonably fun to drive as the normal 500. Ultimately I passed as I do like to shuttle people around occasionally and it's rude to guests to have two cars with unusable back seats.

Finally I searched and found a 2014 i3 in Laurel Grey Giga World with the technology package and 20" wheels with 18,300 miles. I decided against the Rex as my commute wouldn't necessitate it and the airport is well within r/t range - Mustang for all else. Crevier BMW in Santa Ana was asking $20,888. I had a max target of $20k all-in and full cash in hand (thanks to the severance). The dealer was keen to get their finance kickback, so countered with $19k plus taxes (so closer to $21,500 all-in) but I had to finance the minimum amount of $7500 at 1.2% and no payments till March. Not a bad offer, and I have more than enough cash to pay off the remainder well in advance or wait it out for the minuscule monthly payments under $150 a month.

I should note yesterday I also got my new job offer, making $5700 more a year. Yesterday was a VERY good day! This morning, the sales agent met me at my credit union (policy says they need to witness me pulling the cashier's check for that large of an amount). Went back and now I have a new i3 and a new job!

It's a tight fit in my condo's 2-car garage, but it fits snugly with the Mustang.

My New Pre-Owned 2014 BMW i3 by Aaron Slater, on Flickr

You'll really like the i3 if my experience is any basis. Especially in CA, where there are lots more charging stations than in most anywhere else in the world. The weather there is ideal for use of an EV, too.

jadnashuanh said:
You'll really like the i3 if my experience is any basis. Especially in CA, where there are lots more charging stations than in most anywhere else in the world. The weather there is ideal for use of an EV, too.

Thanks! I have a gas dryer in the garage, so I have a free 30-amp outlet available as well. I bought a JuiceBox Pro (Friend's recommendation) along with the dryer plug adapter and an extension cord to put the charger in a more convenient location. I think I'm going to love this thing for the small trips!

Many (all?) of the Juicebox EVSE's allow you to adjust the maximum output. If that is a 30A circuit, per code, the maximum you can have it output to the car is 80% of that, or 24A. That's not the maximum the car can accept, but the maximum that circuit should be allowed to provide to meet the building codes. By adjusting the EVSE, it should adjust its pilot signal, telling the car how much is available, and keep the maximum within limits of your wiring. Now, if it actually is a 40A circuit, you can max out the i3's input ability , and the EVSE should be adjusted for 32A output. That should be covered in the owner's manual of the Juicebox.

jadnashuanh said:
Many (all?) of the Juicebox EVSE's allow you to adjust the maximum output. If that is a 30A circuit, per code, the maximum you can have it output to the car is 80% of that, or 24A. That's not the maximum the car can accept, but the maximum that circuit should be allowed to provide to meet the building codes. By adjusting the EVSE, it should adjust its pilot signal, telling the car how much is available, and keep the maximum within limits of your wiring. Now, if it actually is a 40A circuit, you can max out the i3's input ability , and the EVSE should be adjusted for 32A output. That should be covered in the owner's manual of the Juicebox.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. Also thanks for reminding me to check the breaker panel, I kept forgetting to do that. It is indeed a 30 amp breaker. The dryer plug is also still the older 3-wire plug; but with the adapter from eMotorWerks that shouldn't be a problem though.

Back