Last i3 Sold in the US...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
I'm betting many of you have seen the headline as a few auto publications are popping up with this in my news feed.

No details yet on where it was sold, what model, and what the circumstances were, but I half expect those details will emerge.

Is my recollection correct that a service loaner can be sold as new if it's kept under a certain mileage?

I wonder if there are any others hidden at a dealership, in waiting of an owner.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404-102824~2.png
    Screenshot_20240404-102824~2.png
    291 KB · Views: 7
It was most likely retained by the Dealer for Display/Personal Use and only now released. I would not expect it to be something that has been sitting all this time but we shall see.

I'm betting many of you have seen the headline as a few auto publications are popping up with this in my news feed.

No details yet on where it was sold, what model, and what the circumstances were, but I half expect those details will emerge.

Is my recollection correct that a service loaner can be sold as new if it's kept under a certain mileage?

I wonder if there are any others hidden at a dealership, in waiting of an owner.
Could you link a couple of those news sites where you found this information so that I can read about it?

This is fascinating Of course, the details of this transaction will be very interesting if they come to light.
I recall back in the late 1960s hearing of a NOS (new old stock) prewar Packard being found at a Packard dealer location that had just shut its doors during the war and never reopened due to the owner's sons being killed in the war. Then the owner died, and his widow just left it boarded up. It stayed that way until the widow died intestate and a search was made for next of kin. Etc. I don't recall all of the details after more than half a century. The car required a bit of work to bring it back to 'new' condition as it had not been put into any sort of long-term storage when the place was boarded up at the start of the war.

Wow! I doubt it's anything as entertaining as the list Packard. Makes me wonder, in this connected age, if a car can ever be "lost" anymore. Even when the i3's 12 volt battery dies, BMW ought to have a good last known location. And I'm sure somewhere there's a list of VINs shipped and VINs registered that don't match up.

In the halls of Munich somebody would probably know if there are any more leftovers hiding out?

Back