Making New Friends

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drb

Yesterday I went to charge my i3 REx at the new DC 30 minute fast charger in my neighborhood. My second try. The first failed. It almost failed again but finally we were able to get assistance over the phone, the helpful attendant activating the charging unit over the phone. Apparently the card reader is having difficulty reading the ChargeNow card, a system-wide issue I was informed. Persistence is the name of the game when it comes to the DC fast charging unit. At any rate, the reason for this message is that on both tries at the new DC fast charging unit I had the opportunity to make the acquaintance of new i3 owners. We immediately fell into friendly conversation about our experiences including the delights of driving the i3, reasons for purchasing the vehicle, the niggles and problems we've encountered, where we live, how we use the vehicle, family, etc., etc. We concluded that there must be future opportunities for meetings and discussion. In all my years of automobile ownership, I've never encountered such an instant fraternity of folks who wish to discuss and compare their experiences and get to know one another right from the get-go. All in all, a special benefit of i3 ownership.

I agree it would be good to meet other i3 drivers as we are still a rare species. Whilst this forum as a great place to exchange experiences, knowledge and lessons learnt there is no substitute to meeting face to face. It would be helpful if all members posted their location on their profile as I guess we all have more interest in following threads from those in our own country. I believe you are in the US whereas there are quite a few of us in the UK.

I don't know anything about the BMW Car Club but it strikes me that there is an opportunity to form an i3 Register. I am a member of Porsche Club GB which has very active Registers as well as a large number of Regions. It is a very vibrant club which has close ties with the manufacturer, provides a forum for technical and user support and is a great social club.

Are there any BMW Car Club (UK) members who want to start the ball rolling if there is not already an i3 Register?

Back