Map update

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue20

Any one know if and how i3 will get GPS map updates? I found the GPS map is not up-to-date in my area. ...missing a few newer (in use for a few years now) roads and asked me to turn to a junction that no longer exist.

BMW had a press release at CES saying that (who knows when or which) cars will get map updates pushed over their cellular connection. I asked the iconcierge people, and they said they were not sure if this would be retroactive or only on newer models (a 4G connection would work better than what is in our i3's). SO, at this time, unless you can talk your service center into updating the maps for free, the cheapest way to do it is to do it yourself. You can download the maps (about 24G of compressed data) and get a key generated for your car to install them and do it all yourself in about 45-minutes. At least, that's how it works on other BMW cars.

In the interim, though, I'd go into the map menu, press options, and see what version you have. On mine, it has 2014-2A...I'm guessing that 2015-1 is probably the latest, but have not checked.

If you're OK with software piracy, there are torrents available for the 2015-1 maps. In some cases, you need an unlock code, which run about $50. For some i3s, the maps will update without the key code. Seems hit or miss. The legal way to update maps is to have the dealer do it for around $300. They might not have the 2015 update yet.

See the Facebook i3 group for more details.

websterize said:
If you're OK with software piracy, there are torrents available for the 2015-1 maps. In some cases, you need an unlock code, which run about $50. For some i3s, the maps will update without the key code. Seems hit or miss. The legal way to update maps is to have the dealer do it for around $300.
It was my understanding that files are available for free to everybody.No piracy needed. The only issue is the code, which you can buy yourself, no need for the dealership to do the upgrade. Was I wrong?

BTW. My dealer updated my maps to 2015-1 without even telling me so when I was for KLE exchange, but I still see no electrical range in 3D mode. Is there something wrong with mine?

Updating maps with torrent files and getting code from someone on the interwebs named "Gerry" sounds shady, but you might be right about the free dealer upgrades. The 2015-1 wasn't yet available at my local dealer.

websterize said:
Updating maps with torrent files and getting code from someone on the interwebs named "Gerry" sounds shady, but you might be right about the free dealer upgrades. The 2015-1 wasn't yet available at my local dealer.

I'm not suggesting getting codes from "Gerry". My dealer told me that I can download files from the internet and call them to get the official code over the phone. No need for visit.

Before you go for an update you can check online if they have made any changes. Check out,
http://mapcreator.here.com/mapcreator/
Through the same website you may also report mistakes you noticed in the mapping.

You can download the maps for free because they won't work without the proper code (FSC code) which is customized to your car and the year of the maps. THe same FSC code will work throughout the same map year, so if you have 2015-1, you can install 2015-x without inputting a new code. It's if you have 2015-x and wanted 2016-x where you need a new code.

Now, BMW might change this, but that's the current situation. While corporate did say maps would be pushed free, they did not say in the press release whether that was a future added feature, or would also be available on the existing delivered vehicles.

Just a note for anyone reading this thread, 2015-2 maps just got released for most models last week with our newest HDD Update software. Was released late Wednesday to the U.S.A. dealers.

As I understand it, the FSC code for your vehicle is good for all 2015-x versions, but not for 2016. SO, assuming you have 2015-1 in your vehicle, you could install 2015-2 for free, if you wished to download it and do it yourself (the dealer would likely charge you). BMW announced at CES this past January that they were going to offer OTA map updates for free, but did not say when this would start, or if it was for existing vehicles or at some time in the future on new models. I asked, but they said it has not been determined (publically anyways).

Back