Newbie saying hi...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly10

Hi all, well i took the missus to BMW yesterday to test drive a i3 rex and at first she was like yeah, yeah its nice (think she was a little disappointed tbh) then we took it for a good test drive....well I've just placed my order this morning she liked it that much.

I've ordered one through my company's salary sacrifice scheme in standard trim, white paint and 428 wheels, came in at £330 a month on a just add fuel/electric over 2 years which I think is a really good deal. Only issue is we have to wait 26 weeks for delivery :x

Hi philly10, are you in the UK? I haven't heard anyone having to wait 6 months since last autumn. Most placing orders now are reporting lead times down to around 6 weeks - sometimes shorter. Perhaps you need to speak to some other dealers.

S3RDP said:
Hi philly10, are you in the UK? I haven't heard anyone having to wait 6 months since last autumn. Most placing orders now are reporting lead times down to around 6 weeks - sometimes shorter. Perhaps you need to speak to some other dealers.

Yeah UK based. Its not BMW who quoted 26 weeks but Tusker the SS provider. BMW actually quoted as you say 6 weeks. Tusker do say "estimate" but every car purchased so far has been over the estimated lead time...so not expecting anything different. Hopefully it will be here sooner and we can start to enjoy it sooner.

I was a passenger in the rear on the test drive and told the Mrs if you don't order one I will and sell the MPS6/Mazdaspeed 6 it impressed me that much :D

Ok so following on from this the salary sacrifice provider has now stated a lead time of 8-10 weeks which is more like it....roll on the Rex :D

Did you option the fast charge CCS? there are a growing number of them here in the northwest and are really handy if you venture beyond the combined Rex/EV combined range.
Those 10 weeks are going to seem like an age, but still a lot better than the 5 months I waited. Enjoy :)

PluviaPlumbum said:
Did you option the fast charge CCS? there are a growing number of them here in the northwest and are really handy if you venture beyond the combined Rex/EV combined range.
Those 10 weeks are going to seem like an age, but still a lot better than the 5 months I waited. Enjoy :)

Cheers mate.

The car comes with the AC fast charge prep, is this the same?

no, you want DC fast charge, its a different port, about £500 extra but allows you to use the ECOtricity free fast chargers on the motorway, 20min charge rather than 4 hours on AC fast

davesw1 said:
no, you want DC fast charge, its a different port, about £500 extra but allows you to use the ECOtricity free fast chargers on the motorway, 20min charge rather than 4 hours on AC fast

Yeah just been reading up on it. I wont be needing the DC rapid charge prep as the i3 will never be used for long trips, the car is for the wife and she only works 9 miles away. For longer trips we'll still be using my old saloon.

Good news though, I've just found a AC fast charge station 0.5 miles away from my house at the local train station....and its free, not that'll ever use it as I wont be walking back and fourth as I'm lazy, but its there anyhow.

The fast charge system actually combines AC and DC Power source elements, if your leasing as a company car then you won't be too bothered about resale value, but I would wager you will after a short period of ownership want to use the i3 for longer trips as well; which it is more than capable of performing.

After all who doesn't want to fill up for free! but no one wants to hang around on a motorway services for hours on a level 2 charger.
The DC fast charge will add 80% of charge from an empty battery in 20-30 minutes, for the last 20% the charge rate slows to about the rate of a level 2 charger anyway. In simplistic terms you can add another 60 miles range in 20 minutes, or time for a toilet break and a coffee.

I currently have three other Ice cars I can use for long trips and I now find myself having to manage their battery condition they get so little use.

PluviaPlumbum said:
The fast charge system actually combines AC and DC Power source elements, if your leasing as a company car then you won't be too bothered about resale value, but I would wager you will after a short period of ownership want to use the i3 for longer trips as well; which it is more than capable of performing.

After all who doesn't want to fill up for free! but no one wants to hang around on a motorway services for hours on a level 2 charger.
The DC fast charge will add 80% of charge from an empty battery in 20-30 minutes, for the last 20% the charge rate slows to about the rate of a level 2 charger anyway. In simplistic terms you can add another 60 miles range in 20 minutes, or time for a toilet break and a coffee.

I currently have three other Ice cars I can use for long trips and I now find myself having to manage their battery condition they get so little use.

I'd love to use the i3 for longer journeys but the amount of shit we carry down to Devon each year is ridiculous and the i3 wouldn't get a third of the stuff in the Mazda can. The 3 will be for the missus in business hours and my toy for evenings and weekends. Seriously looking forward to it, always wanted a beemer and was close to buying a LCi 330d e91 but the lease deal was to good to turn down.

Not long now, been told delivery will be 14/9 :D

It will get dropped of at my work in Manchester so I can drive it all the way home to Liverpool just to hand over to the missus :cry: I'm hoping I don't love it otherwise I maybe ordering another....

philly10 said:
Hi all, well i took the missus to BMW yesterday to test drive a i3 rex and at first she was like yeah, yeah its nice (think she was a little disappointed tbh) then we took it for a good test drive....well I've just placed my order this morning she liked it that much.

Only issue is we have to wait 26 weeks for delivery :x

philly10 said:

It will get dropped of at my work in Manchester so I can drive it all the way home to Liverpool just to hand over to the missus :cry: I'm hoping I don't love it otherwise I maybe ordering another....

Great to hear that the wait has been less than a month - about as short a period as I have heard. This is all the more surprising as the Facebook UK i3 Forum is full of pictures of September 65 reg cars which is a peak month for UK deliveries. I can only guess that the strength of the £ v Euro is encouraging BMW to give allocation priority to the UK market.

You will love the car - I just hope that you don't come to regret not choosing the DC fast charge option that does open up longer distance travel.

S3RDP said:
philly10 said:

Only issue is we have to wait 26 weeks for delivery :x

philly10 said:

Great to hear that the wait has been less than a month - about as short a period as I have heard. This is all the more surprising as the Facebook UK i3 Forum is full of pictures of September 65 reg cars which is a peak month for UK deliveries. I can only guess that the strength of the £ v Euro is encouraging BMW to give allocation priority to the UK market.

You will love the car - I just hope that you don't come to regret not choosing the DC fast charge option that does open up longer distance travel.

No mate defo won't regret not getting the DC option, i'm guessing i'll never use a public charger in the 2 year lease. The Mazda will always be the long hauler due to size.

Back