No anti-theft lock on steering?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

I just realized that there is no steering lock on our i3, did some DOT regulation change and I didn't notice? The window is open and I can reach in and turn the wheel from lock to lock, the Infiniti beside it has the same sort of RF key and its wheel is locked straight ahead.

The regulation FMVSS 114 has never required the steering wheel lock mechanism. Rather, it states:
Each vehicle must have a starting system which, whenever the key is removed from the starting system prevents:
(a) The normal activation of the vehicle's engine or motor; and
(b) Either steering, or forward self-mobility, of the vehicle, or both.

All manufacturers, with the exception of Saab, have complied with the regulation through the use of steering wheel locks. Saab opted to implement a transmission lock because the 99 featured a floor-mounted ignition key between the front seats. I learned to drive in a 99 3-door; its manual transmission had to be locked into reverse before the key could be removed.

I'm guessing that BMW employed a similar compliance strategy since the i3 transmission linkage is electronic. You can spin that knob all you want but without a key and the vehicle powered, it's not moving.

stumbledotcom said:
I'm guessing that BMW employed a similar compliance strategy since the i3 transmission linkage is electronic. You can spin that knob all you want but without a key and the vehicle powered, it's not moving.

Agreed. The steering is software (which makes the feedback/feel quite impressive) so there is no requirement to mechanically lock the steering wheel. It is theoretically more secure than mechanical locking. (The failing point being the software being hacked)

I have not seen a car with electric power steering that had a steering lock. They are actually quite dangerous and should not be used at all.

All production vehicles including the i3 use mechanical steering linkage. Steering-by-wire remains the realm of concept cars; no jurisdiction has approved such as system for road vehicles as far as I know. Traditional hydraulic power assist systems are rapidly being replaced with more efficient electric power assist, perhaps that is the source of confusion. You can verify this yourself by turning your i3's steering wheel when the vehicle is off. It takes more effort but the wheels will turn, as WoodlandHills originally stated. I'm guessing that BMW employed a similar compliance strategy since the i3 transmission linkage is electronic. You can spin that knob all you want but without a key and the vehicle powered, it's not moving.

The ignition-steering wheel lock used in most vehicles to comply with anti-theft regulations has no relationship to the method of power steering assist used.

stumbledotcom said:
All production vehicles including the i3 use mechanical steering linkage. Steering-by-wire remains the realm of concept cars; no jurisdiction has approved such as system for road vehicles as far as I know. Traditional hydraulic power assist systems are rapidly being replaced with more efficient electric power assist, perhaps that is the source of confusion. You can verify this yourself by turning your i3's steering wheel when the vehicle is off. It takes more effort but the wheels will turn, as WoodlandHills originally stated I'm guessing that BMW employed a similar compliance strategy since the i3 transmission linkage is electronic. You can spin that knob all you want but without a key and the vehicle powered, it's not moving.

The ignition-steering wheel lock used in most vehicles to comply with anti-theft regulations has no relationship to the method of power steering assist used.

Oh :-( <--sad face

FYI neither our 2012 Mini or our 2013 Ford C-Max Energi (PHEV) have steering wheel locks. Both have push-button starting; the Mini requires the 'key' to be inserted in a slot, while the Energi has a remote key fob.

Back