Parking Assist & Driving Assist not happy

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not aware of any fix to ACC kicking off periodically.

Here is my experience - the day I brought my i3 home I took out a bottle of Rain-X and treated whole windshield (as I do on all of my cars). That turned out to be a huge mistake. The ACC become useless. It was kicking out every few minutes. So I grabbed bottle of mineral spirits and carefully cleaned all rain-x residues from the area of my windshield right in front of the camera. After that the ACC started working again and works just fine since then. It kicks off now and then when in direct light, but I got used to it and now I'm expecting it. Other than that it was very reliable, even in dense fog.

It seems like the crucial part is that there is no film or other chemical residue that would diffuse the light on the windshield in front of the camera. So next time you go to car wash you may think about covering that area before, skipping the wax, or having a small bottle of mineral spirits with you and cleaning it ASAP afterwards.

On the other hand it handles regular dirt surprisingly well. I've driven with pretty dirty windshield (spray of melted snow and salt behind semis) and it never kicked off then.

I think that if you search the forum you will find a number of threads about Driver Assist performance. Can comment myself as I never wanted it.

Well your agent is disingenuous - I know from reading the forum that people have had problems with the system dropping out and at low speeds.

MikeS said:
Well your agent is disingenuous - I know from reading the forum that people have had problems with the system dropping out and at low speeds.

If the system disengages when visibility is obscured, that's how it's supposed to work.

Hi Hengus,

I really do love my i3, had it since April and done over 8000 miles, however I have to say some of the toys (I ticked every box) have been a disappointment.

I gave up using ACC and Driver Assist and I also have reservations about park assist (frequently it just gives up and says it cant do it, usually when trying to show off to friends!! :). Collision detection is OK but sometimes imagines things that are not there. One bit of tech I love is the speed limit display, find it very useful and reliable.

Mine went into the dealer on Monday for a "product enhancement" upgrade, seems to be software as a lot of my settings got messed up in iDrive, the dealer couldn't really tell me what it addressed so I'm a little in the dark, I will try out some of the gadgets over next few days and will post here if there is any improvement.

I really hope you enjoy i3 as I do, its truly awesome in most respects.

Hengus said:
Sorry to hijack an old thread but as I have an I3REx on order - with time left to change options - can anyone tell me whether the issues identified in this thread have been resolved with a software update et al?

Hi there... i use this every day for about 40 miles of my 56 mile round trip commute and now covered over 10000 miles.... My two unwritten rules would be a) don't use when driving directly into the sun b) if you cant see without shade or glasses then more can your lil i3 machine. ..

It's a great feature ... tick.

I think that the point she was making is that the packages are more 'to assist' drivers than to replace them. i like parts of both the Parking Assist and Driving Assist packages. I may be paying a lot for the bits I like.

Just a note on the original post, you are describing two separate issues here:

1. Driving assistant functions inop(ACC, Ped Warning, Collision warning). These are all operated solely with the front camera, and the fogging you are seeing is the most likely culprit.

2. Parking assistant failure-This system relies strictly on the PDC sensors around the vehicle. You can tape over both the front and the rear cameras and the car will still park exactly the same(done this to test ;) ). Most of the time this issue is resolved by programming, had a couple software hiccups earlier on with this system here in Portland as well. Another possible culprit since the CC was white(means non-system failure) is if there was something on one or more of your park sensors-dirt, splatted bug, excessive dust, ice, etc.

Has anyone had a fix or a decent reply from BMW regarding the seeing eye fogging.
I have been robbed off on a few occasions and told to use the demister button.
This does not work and I think it is a design fault.
Frankly not impressed.

Have issues with Parking Assist scraping the wheels been fixed by BMW? If so, from what year models? This is one option I would like to get, if it has been fixed. Thanks.

Srivenkat said:
Have issues with Parking Assist scraping the wheels been fixed by BMW? If so, from what year models? This is one option I would like to get, if it has been fixed.
The only reason I would want this option on a pre-2018 i3 would be for the reversing camera that's included in this package and the front ultrasonic sensors that can detect low obstacles that might be hidden by the hood. The self-parking feature is so slow that I would not want to use it even if it did not tend to scrape the wheels against the curb. Apparently with the existing ultrasound sensors, it cannot detect curbs well enough to avoid them and tries to align with the curbside edges of the vehicles ahead and behind which might not be sufficient to avoid scraping the wheels against the curb.

Latest posts

Back