Pro Sat Nav Question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipPip

Hi
I've had my i3 Rex for a couple of days. I'm loving the car and wondering if I'll ever drive this thing sensibly! My car came with an owners handbook but no manual for the pro satnav, which I'm finding tricky. My main challenge currently is that I don't see charging stations on the map view and can't seem to work out how to get these displayed. I thought this was one of the key features so it must be in the set up somewhere. Can anyone advise please?
Edit: I am in the UK

In the UK BMW have teamed up with Chargemaster who are generally poor and quite useless up here in the NE. Their stations are the only ones that appear on my sat nav. I too would be interested to know how the others could be programmed in.

I'm not sure if the terminology is the same in the UK as it is in the US with you saying ProSat I don't recall seeing that term, HOWEVER, you did say you're not seeing the charging stations so thought I'd chip in here.

My i3 worked flawlessly in every way upon driving it home but could not bring up charging stations either. Map view/points of interest/charging stations. I kept screwing around with it but could not make it work. BMW Genius stopped by as a courtesy after a few days to see how I was doing (as they do with all their i3 buying customers). He seemed real knowledgeable on the car but he couldn't figure it out either. However he did note that you are NOT supposed to see a little arrow through the Nav circle/pointer icon. If you are on Nav, then at the top left of the screen you see the circle with the little arrow going into it similar to your car icon driving down the map. If you see this same icon with a line through it to the direct left of the time box on the right, then there's a problem. If there's a line through it then you will not see charging stations. I had to take it in and the dealer had not seen this problem before. Normally the icon is next to the time for a few seconds on boot up, then it goes away.

The problem was I was not entered into all the BMW systems and this screwed up the telecommunications module, or something to that effect. They had to get me registered correctly and reactivate the TCB for it to work. Weird thing was, I could see Nav working, and everything else like park and rides, airports, etc, just NOT charging stations. Now that it works, too cool. While it was screwed up though, I don't think perspective view worked either, which is super cool to me, and is a heck of a lot easier to see street names than the other modes.

I hope that helps. :geek:

There are many i3 owners having this problem:
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1748

I had all the charging stations in my nav systems but these disappeared after the black screen issue and never came back. I think that BMW is having a huge problem with their updating system, but they refuse to share any kind of information about this issue

This sounds like a poor connection to the 12vdc battery, or a bad battery. All of the electronics in the car are powered by that battery, not the main traction batteries that drive the motor. That battery gets recharged when you have the vehicle on and while it is recharging on the EVSE from a DC-DC converter. When the battery voltage drops enough, it's causing the reset of the computer. Just a guess, though. It could just as easily be a loose connection, or something similar.

Back