Spider Map

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoMoreGas

Can someone guide me how to bring up the "spider map" view on my nav? I have the Tera trim with the fancy nav. See below:

"BMW knows people are thinking about range when they drive an electric vehicle, so there’s an upgrade feature that provides you with a “spider” diagram on a map, showing your max range, either in normal mode or in Eco Pro+. It’s one-way only, but it’s still better than having no clue where you might lose charge. The spider map mostly made me aware that I could never own an i3 as my sole vehicle – the main reason I have a car is to get out of the city to surrounding destinations up to (and sometimes beyond) 400km away, not to travel within it."

The i3's navigation "spider map" offers a pretty accurate visual display on the cars current range in the different driving modes.

Pictured here:http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/06/29/bmw-i3-rex-one-year-review/

Thx in advance.

I believe it is in the map display content menu in the nav page, not in the car right now, but I have turned it on before.

Most people use their nav with the range low enough so that they can see the local streets and intersections - IOW, until your battery charge is WAY low, they'd never see that info on their map. The range map does not show unless you zoom out enough. It takes it a moment to render.

Easiest to see the spider map when in 2D view. I prefer perspective view for driving so I only see the battery range spider when I'm almost out of battery and it looms into view.

Thank you all. I do not see it available on any of the preprogrammed view. I am always in 2D. I am usually in interactive mode. At what scale does the spider map show? If my typical electric range is 80 miles then would it be visible all the time if my map legend is set to 100 miles or more? In other words, is this automatic based on the legend? Thank you all for your replies.

You can't see the range rings until the map display can show their edges. Depending on the topography (hills, flats, etc.), it will not be a nice circle. I'm away from mine now, so can't check to see if there's something else to do. Do you have the professional nav, or the business nav? It may only be available on the professional nav.

jadnashuanh said:
Most people use their nav with the range low enough so that they can see the local streets and intersections - IOW, until your battery charge is WAY low, they'd never see that info on their map. The range map does not show unless you zoom out enough. It takes it a moment to render.

If you live by the ocean, then the i3 map will constantly remind you where the shore line is!!!

I've found that in 2D, if you zoom out far enough it appears virtually immediately. In Perspective, however, it can take up to 5 minutes before it displays. Seems to be some confusion about whether it actually does display the range in Perspective view, but it always worked for me. I just got updated to the March software a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't noticed whether is still displays the range map in perspective mode. I'll check at lunch.

Just tried at lunch. Range map appears in perspectrive mode, but still takes ~3-5 minutes to appear for some reason.

NoMoreGas said:
Thank you all. I do not see it available on any of the preprogrammed view. I am always in 2D. I am usually in interactive mode. At what scale does the spider map show?.

You need to enable it in the map options.

Back