BMW i ConnectedDrive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

Here are some of the "value add" services Tom alluded to.........

Questions raised

1) Is the core system upgradable? We have just gone from 3G to 4G - what happens when 5G comes along? Does it matter?

2) Will functions like Internet audio streaming be a function of this on-board system (SIM) or will these Infotainment functions be offloaded to the wirelessly connected mobile phone.

3) I want to really enjoy the full potential of my 100% torque from 0mph car so the thought of "comparing it (my driving style) with other BMW i drivers, allowing them to hone the way they drive by recognizing where there is room for improvement" fills me with horror - hopefully that is a function I can switch off!

"BMW i stands for a whole new concept of premium mobility and calls for a new generation of flexible, simplified mobility services that are designed to enable vehicles to be linked seamlessly into the customers' individual lifestyles. BMW i will be the world's first fully networked sub-brand offering tailor-made, state-of-the-art BMW i ConnectedDrive services.

BMW i ConnectedDrive services as standard for BMW i models

For this purpose, all new BMW i models will come as standard with an integral SIM card together with BMW ConnectedDrive services that have been specially devised for electric mobility and future mobility demands. Because the card is built in, it ensures an optimum connection to the BMW ConnectedDrive services throughout the vehicle's life. The BMW i is furthermore equipped with a navigation system that already features BMW i ConnectedDrive services, and has been systematically tailored to the specific requirements of electric mobility and of flexible, individual, convenient mobility in tomorrow's world. Examples of this include BMW Assist eCall and services accessible in the BMW i Remote app. Should the customer wish to use further products from BMW & BMW i ConnectedDrive services, such as Concierge Services, Internet or RTTI, they can be booked individually from the comfort of their home computer by visiting the BMW ConnectedDrive Store.

BMW i ConnectedDrive services always at the focus of attention

The BMW i3 comes with two top-quality displays for the exchange of information between vehicle and driver and for operating the infotainment and communications functions. There is a large 6.5 inch screen positioned on top of the steering column, where all driving-related data such as speed and range appears, and a second 8.8 inch screen in the center of the dashboard for displaying, for example, the information from the navigation system, which is connected to the outside world via BMW i ConnectedDrive. This central display also serves to keep the driver and front passenger fully informed of the vehicle's status and the drive system's operating mode. The two displays have been designed to interact in such a way that the information shown is split between them to optimum effect, as the situation requires.

Total networking facilitates mobility planning

The driving range of electrically powered vehicles is very much dependent on driving style. The BMW eDrive technology aboard the BMW i3 is designed to allow the vehicle to cover a distance of 80 to 100 miles on a full battery charge. Even before setting off, the BMW i ConnectedDrive services provide the driver with realistic estimates of the vehicle's current range. One of the key elements of the networked navigation system is a dynamic range map, which delivers precise, reliable readings by factoring in all relevant parameters along the planned route. The battery's charge status, driving style, activity of electric comfort functions and the selected driving mode are all taken into account for the calculation, along with the route's topography and current traffic levels. The system is therefore able to make allowance for the extra energy used up for both an upcoming climb and stop-start traffic or traffic jams, and lower its range calculation accordingly. Optional real-time traffic data added to the equation, too. High-performance analysis and evaluation of the information is carried out permanently via the BMW ConnectedDrive servers. Every BMW i is constantly in contact with these servers thanks to the built-in SIM card, and this networking provides ultra-precise real-time information.

Dynamic range display for all driving modes

Taking the vehicle's current location as a starting point, the dynamic range display from BMW i ConnectedDrive joins up all the points that can be reached with the available energy reserves to form a spidergram in the navigation display. Since the driver is able to actively influence the vehicle's energy consumption and therefore its range by switching the driving mode, the graphical representation of the range calculation is made available in two variants, allowing the driver to view the relevant current range in both COMFORT and ECO PRO mode. The driver is furthermore able to see the range that would be available if the ECO PRO+ mode was selected, so that it is always possible to know how much extra range could be obtained by changing the driving mode. The Driving Range Assistant can detect when the remaining driving range might become critical and advise the driver to choose a more efficient driving mode, a more economical route or an available charging station in the vicinity if necessary. BMW i therefore brings BMW ConnectedDrive networked services and BMW EfficientDynamics energy management together to create a perfect symbiosis.

BMW i Remote app: vehicle monitoring, mobility planning and efficiency optimization

The BMW i Remote app allows an upcoming journey in a BMW i car to be planned out in advance easily and conveniently by means of a smartphone. Using this application, which has been purpose-developed for the demands of electric mobility and will be available for the iOS and Android operating systems, the driver is able to access all vehicle data or route-related information anywhere at any time. For example, a vehicle status checklist can be called up on the smartphone that retrieves the current vehicle data via the BMW server. The driver can additionally view the vehicle's location and the destinations in the surrounding area that are within range based on the current battery charge level. The vehicle's interior can also be set to the desired temperature by remote control, either immediately or in time for departure using the timer control. Even the high-voltage battery can be adjusted to the optimum temperature in advance in order to maximize the driving range. If the vehicle is plugged into a public charging station or the BMW i Wallbox, the charging procedure can likewise be controlled remotely and even programmed to run at times when electricity is cheaper (e.g. at night) with the timer function. Using the BMW i Remote app, it is possible to search for and select both navigation destinations and charging stations, and then relay them to the vehicle. No matter whether they are shown in the navigation system or on the smartphone, all relevant charging stations appear together with an indication of whether they currently have any free spaces.

The pedestrian navigation function included in the BMW i Remote app takes the local public transport network into account and conveniently directs drivers to their final destination after leaving the vehicle. Whether the journey was planned in the vehicle or at home, the destination appears directly in the BMW i Remote app as soon as the driver has left their car. BMW i thereby facilitate an individual, sustainable and easy form of mobility with seamless guidance from start to finish.

Away from their car, drivers are additionally able to evaluate their personal driving style and compare it with other BMW i drivers, allowing them to hone the way they drive by recognizing where there is room for improvement. "

Is this copy and pasted from somewhere? Source? Context?

FYI, you have a typo at the beginning.
allude = hint at, refer to, suggest
elude = avoid detection, escape, evade

Sorry about the spelling.

This was from two sources....... both virtually word for word the same (no source indicated in either article) so I assumed it was BMW press release. Sources Autocar (UK) Bimmerfest (USA ... I think).

Yes, is was a BMW press release.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pres...lId=6&id=T0142487EN&left_menu_item=node__2369

With some interesting screen shots of the system in action (go to the second page of pictures for the i3 specific stuff).

Interestingly "real time traffic updates" look like they will cost - which is odd as they are provided free here in the UK..... so wouldn't be best pleased to have to pay for them.

I was hoping BMW might do an accidental reveal of the car (as Audi did) - most cars now show a picture of the car in 3D form on the main menu of the system - either the production i3 will look identical to the Coupe Concept or they have swapped the graphics - spoil sports.
Other pictures show the i3 Dashboard - but blurred out - but it does mean you can see you can choose a very light cream interior if you wish.

Oh ..... and the screen never shows a range of greater than 98miles (at 98% battery) - and I couldn't see any graphics which show the Rex is installed.

Back