Problem with charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoMoreGas

I was in Virginia with my Rex and I was charging at the hotel. I went to remove the Clipper Creek and the darn thing would not let go. Called BMW Roadside and the tech told me to remove the black foam piece that covered the emergency release button for the charger. There are two blue buttons - one for the door for the charger port and one for the charger lock. I was instructed to pull it out which I did and in doing so it comes right off in my hand!!! Eventually I got the charger to release. Does anyone know how much work/disassembly it will take to replace my emergency charger let go tab? Is this an all day job or is it easy peasy I can wait while they do this? Thx in advance.

I think that they have to take the fender off, but that's not all that many bolts. Getting it back on and properly aligned probably takes longer. I've not done it, but mine needed a new locking solenoid, and the fender needed to come off to access that.

I had a similar problem with a failure to release the charging cable. The release latch had to be ordered from Germany (two weeks) and then a day to install it.

In my case the emergency release worked correctly, didn't break and didn't have to be replaced. But I'm guessing that if it's all disassembled to replace the latch, fixing the emergency release cable is not too much incremental work.

Back